Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

transmission problems already?

bboyer
05-20-2007, 10:39 AM
I have a 2001 Trooper that I purchased about two months ago. It has 96,895 miles on it and has had two previous owners. Is it common in Troopers to have tranny problems already?:screwy:

alienrobot
05-22-2007, 03:58 PM
I have a 2001 and had to have the transmission rebuilt at 65,000 last summer. There was something loose in the transmission banging around inside, something fell apart in there and I needed a full rebuild. Just recently it started slipping again. I will take it back to the transmisison garage soon. By the way, the transmission is sealed and is supposed to be maintainence free, it is sourced from BMW.

amigo-2k
05-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Typically it is common for Isuzu trannies to die with 80k-100k when the tranny fluid is never changed.

What is the tranny fluid history on your truck?

There are some other issues that may cause tranny issues:

Dirty range selector
Low tranny fluid
Weak Alt or battery (isuzu trannies do weird things with wacky voltageO.

Ramblin Fever
05-24-2007, 09:39 AM
These Isuzu tranny's ARE in fact the GM 4L30-E transmission, and they were USED in BMW's, but they are not a BMW design.

Also, they are NOT maintenance free/totally sealed transmissions; they in fact do require fluid changes every 30k AT MOST!

I currently have 174k carefree miles on my original tranny on a hard worked Rodeo, this truck gets fluid changes every 15-20k, with twice as late as 30k, but have never gone over 30k without a change out.

Add your comment to this topic!