Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Non surgical fix for exhaust smoke.

mousetopher
05-18-2007, 03:18 PM
I have an 89 s10 blazer 4.3 tbi and was curious if there was an easy way to make it stop smoking. It has white smoke on take off and when you give it moderate to full throttle when moving it is grey. Any help would be great.

ericn1300
05-18-2007, 07:35 PM
I have an 89 s10 blazer 4.3 tbi and was curious if there was an easy way to make it stop smoking. It has white smoke on take off and when you give it moderate to full throttle when moving it is grey. Any help would be great.

the 4.3 is notorious for grey smoke on a cold start. it's from oil leaking past the worn valve guides after the engine has been shut down for awhile. i actually think this oil leak down contributes to the long life of the 4.3 by lubricating the cylinders on start up before the oil pressure builds.

however, if you have white smoke and hard starting when cold, or when accelarating after a long idle at a stop light, you probably have a dripping fuel injector. if you have grey smoke on acceleration, it's probably blow-by on the pistons

mousetopher
05-19-2007, 06:48 AM
There isn't any smoke on startup actually. It starts when it warms up. I forgot to mention that.

Add your comment to this topic!