Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

fuel pump gone bad?

lazzyhonu999
05-18-2007, 10:15 AM
my 96 jetta is completely not running now we replaced the fuel filter now when we go to start the car it turns on idles for like 2 seconds then dies if i try to give it any gas the car just dies instantly is my fuel pump shot can i still test my fuel pump to see if it working even tho the car wont stay started its a 300 dollar pump and i dont wanna replace it if its no the problem

thanks

Doug Tatham
05-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Check the fuel pressure. Also, see if you have two pumps like the 88 to 92 models. One in the gas tank and the other under the car. Fuel pressure gages aren't very expensive and checking the fuel pressure can rule out a lot of possibilities. If you don't want to spend the money (~$20) on the gage, you can remove the plug on the injector manifold and run a tube into a gas can. Disconnect the ignition (wire to starter) so that it doesn't start, then turn the key. You should be able to fill a can in short time. Then poor the can back into your tank. Make sure the can is grounded!

veedubmechanic
05-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Take the fuel line off the fuel rail and put it in a 20oz pop bottle and have someone crank. If there is fuel that comes out than the pump and electrical for the pump is ok. Fuel pump relays are a common problem on older vw's

Add your comment to this topic!