How do we Check and change tansmission fluid for 2006 Malibu LT?

leshan
05-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Hi,
I can not find the dipstick in my 2006 Malibu LT.
So, How can we Check and change tansmission fluid for 2006 Malibu LT? Just drop the pan, drain the fluid and replace the filter? If so, How much fluid should we refill?
Thanks.

HyperFox
05-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Th 3.5L and 2.2L's tansmissions are sealerd for life. There is no dipstick, however there is a check hole on the side of the tramission.

leshan
05-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Thank you for your reply.
Do you have a picture of the check hole? Is that easy to open?
If I just drop the pan, drain the fluid and replace the filter. How much fluid should I refill?

Th 3.5L and 2.2L's tansmissions are sealerd for life. There is no dipstick, however there is a check hole on the side of the tramission.

slls
05-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Hi,
I can not find the dipstick in my 2006 Malibu LT.
So, How can we Check and change tansmission fluid for 2006 Malibu LT? Just drop the pan, drain the fluid and replace the filter? If so, How much fluid should we refill?
Thanks.

Start the engine and allow the engine to idle until the transmission fluid temperature has reached the value specified. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return the shift lever to the PARK range. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range. CautionThe engine must be running when the transmission fluid fill plug is removed, or excessive fluid loss will occur. Transmission fluid may be hot. Since the actual fluid level is unknown, stand clear when removing the fill plug. Have a container ready to capture any lost fluid. Do not turn the engine off with the fill plug removed, as you can be injured by hot transmission fluid being expelled out of the oil fill opening.
Remove the transmission plug.
Important
The transmission fluid may darken with normal use and does not always indicate contamination or oxidation.
At least 40C
Transmission fluid (At least 104F) 5-10 minutes at idle will give correct temp.
Does the fluid have a burnt odor or a dark brown color?Check the fluid level. The fluid level should be even with the bottom of the threaded plug hole.Is the fluid level low?
Add DEXRON III automatic transmission fluid in increments of 0.5L until the fluid drains from the plug hole.
Install plug before stopping engine or fluid will spill out of plug hole.
Pan drop and filter change 7.5 qts

Check plug is just to the right of the passenger side axle housing , 11 mm plug, can't miss it, only one there.

leshan
05-18-2007, 10:52 AM
Thank you so much. Very clear.

One more question.
Pan drop and filter change 7.5 qts. Does this mean that I even do not need to open the check plug. Just add 7.5 qts after pan drop and filter change?

By the way, my manual says
DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid

Automatic Transaxle Complete Overhaul
Automatic Transaxle 4T45-E 6.9 qt
Automatic Transaxle 4T65-E 7.4 qt

I am a little confused.

dpilot83
05-18-2007, 12:50 PM
The directions by slls were very good. However, I would replace the fluid with the fluid recommended by your owners manual. I have the 99 malibu with the 3.1L engine and mine took exactly 7.4 quarts.

I'm guessing the 65-E is for the 3.5L you have and the 45-E is for the smaller engine.

Anyways if you feel very comfortable that your transmission is in good shape and has never leaked any fluid there is a way you can do it without checking the plug on the side. You must be very careful to catch ALL of your fluid in a totally empty drainpan. Make sure the drain pan is one that would make it easy to transfer the fluid to another container without spilling. Then pour the fluid you drained out into empy quarts from a previous oil change. if it comes out to be 7.4 it's pretty safe to assume you didn't lose any oil and you should be able to put 7.4 back in and not worry about it. However, if it comes out to be anything other than 7.4 you need to do it right. Also, if someone else has changed the oil in the past I wouldn't be too interested in leaving it to chance even if it does come out to 7.4. Honestly, it's really not too terribly hard to do what slls mentioned so I'd recommend doing it anyways, but if you really want to do it another way, that's at least an option.

leshan
05-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Thank you for your reply.
But the manual says
Automatic Transaxle 4T65-E 7.4 qt

7.4 qt is Complete Overhaul.
If we just drop the pan and replace the filter. We only have a part of the fluid out. right? So, How much is it?

The best way is use the check hole. But I did not find it on my 2006 malibu LT. Do you have the picture? I used to drop the pan and replace the filter every 30000m for all of my cars. I want to take care of them. But I really do not want to spend $150 at dealer for this. I do not trust them, I would like to do it myself.

dpilot83
05-18-2007, 02:11 PM
I've searched all over and the only info I can find about the 4t65e was unofficial and in another forum.
http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic429545.htm

The second from the last post on this page mentions that a rebuild on a 4t65e is 10 quarts and dropping the pan is 7.4 quarts.

I don't have a picture. My car is the 99 malibu which has a different transmission. I would assume slls is right that the plug is in the same place but I can't verify that. Anyways, if you can't find the plug and your really must do it yourself, the option I mentioned earlier may be your only choice.

dpilot83
05-18-2007, 02:20 PM
Also go to this page directly from Chevy for the Monte Carlo.

http://www.chevrolet.com/montecarlo/specifications/

Click on transmission off to the right side. It says that it has a 4t65e and that it has a 10 quart capacity. With all these things working together I would be inclined to believe that a change is 7.4 quarts and a overhaul is 10 quarts.

leshan
05-18-2007, 03:14 PM
Based on your link, I found this, I think my tranny should be 4T45-E

http://www.chevrolet.com/malibu/specifications/

slls
05-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Based on your link, I found this, I think my tranny should be 4T45-E

http://www.chevrolet.com/malibu/specifications/

I know about how much mine takes, I still do the plug check. A 4T45E takes 7.5 with pan drop and filter change.
I know you don't want to do the plug check, level, running etc.
If in fact you have a 4T45E 7.5 qts will be ok. If you are not sure what tranny you have, do the plug check, then no mistakes.

leshan
05-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Thank you

I know about how much mine takes, I still do the plug check. A 4T45E takes 7.5 with pan drop and filter change.
I know you don't want to do the plug check, level, running etc.
If in fact you have a 4T45E 7.5 qts will be ok. If you are not sure what tranny you have, do the plug check, then no mistakes.

leshan
05-20-2007, 02:43 PM
I think I found check hole. Is it a 11-12mm bolt, aoubt 3-5cm above the pan, in the side of the case, parallel the passenger side axle, face the the passenger tire?

I plan to drop the pan, drain the fluid and replce the filter the first time. And then every 30k miles, I will take the the bolt with engine off. This should drain about half of the fluid out and just refill the same amount.

Thank you all.

slls
05-21-2007, 11:47 AM
I think I found check hole. Is it a 11-12mm bolt, aoubt 3-5cm above the pan, in the side of the case, parallel the passenger side axle, face the the passenger tire?

I plan to drop the pan, drain the fluid and replce the filter the first time. And then every 30k miles, I will take the the bolt with engine off. This should drain about half of the fluid out and just refill the same amount.

Thank you all.

You have found it, you will see when you remove, it has a bullet on end, that way it won't spray out every where.

leshan
05-21-2007, 04:11 PM
I just done.
I dropped the pan, drained the fluid, replaced the filter. Totally I refilled with 6.7 qts Amsoil ATF. I did the fluid level check from the check hole. Looks like the manual told us with this way.
Automatic Transaxle 4T45-E 6.9 qt

Thank you all.

cujogood
04-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Wondering when you remove plug with engine running, if fluid spills out you have too much?

Ed_Strong
04-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Engine must be running and at operating temp (not on cold engine) 10 to 15 mins at idle will do and vehicle must be level. Turn the shift level thru all the gears starting in park (P-R-N-D-2-L) pausing for 2 to 3 seconds on each gear and then go back from L (L-2-D-N-R-P).
Now you're ready to check the fluid and if it spills fluid you have too much. A few drips is fine. If there's no drip add some fresh fluid thru the top cap till it drips. Hope that helps

slls
04-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Engine must be running and at operating temp (not on cold engine) 10 to 15 mins at idle will do and vehicle must be level. Turn the shift level thru all the gears starting in park (P-R-N-D-2-L) pausing for 2 to 3 seconds on each gear and then go back from L (L-2-D-N-R-P).
Now you're ready to check the fluid and if it spills fluid you have too much. A few drips is fine. If there's no drip add some fresh fluid thru the top cap till it drips. Hope that helps

Due to the type fill cap, it needs to be removed when checking the Malibu Z fluid level to get a accurate reading, per the SI.

jonnik
04-26-2009, 06:40 PM
leshan, remember you have 3 or more quarts of old fluid left over from the torque convertor in the transmission. Amzoil is compatable with Dextron, but another drain and fill may be needed to get the full effect of the synthetic fluid.

Add your comment to this topic!