Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ODC II code P-0113 IAT sensor

polarzak
05-17-2007, 06:21 AM
My wife's 2000 LeSabre has a P-0113 code, Intake Air Temperature circuit high. Does this mean that the sensor is faulty and I simply replace it or is something else wrong and replacing the sensor would be a waste of time and money? Otherwise the car runs great.
Thanks for your help.

stuzman
05-17-2007, 07:39 AM
My wife's 2000 LeSabre has a P-0113 code, Intake Air Temperature circuit high. Does this mean that the sensor is faulty and I simply replace it or is something else wrong and replacing the sensor would be a waste of time and money? Otherwise the car runs great.
Thanks for your help.

Having a code does not mean that the sensor is automatically bad. The PCM is saying that there is a problem with the IAT circuit. So, it could be the sensor, its connector or wiring or even the PCM which sends out a 5V reference to the sensor. The other lead of the sensor is the input to the PCM which measures a changing voltage because of a changing resistance. Inside the PCM, there is a resistor in series with the sensor to create this voltage drop. Basically, the PCM is saying that the temperature has gone beyond a predetermined high setpoint meaning the resistance of the circuit is very low.

The sensor has a NTC (negative temperature coefficient) which means that the resistance is low when the temp is high and vice-versa. You could check the resistance of the sensor or as I prefer, check for 5V and then monitor the voltage to the PCM. When sensor is cold, voltage will be higher than when hot.

polarzak
05-17-2007, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I thought it might be more than just the sensor.
Now that I know what to look for, I will get the meter out tonight and see what I can determine. Thanks again.

stuzman
05-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I thought it might be more than just the sensor.
Now that I know what to look for, I will get the meter out tonight and see what I can determine. Thanks again.

Here is some info from Autozone which may help you. Although there isn't a listing for a 2000 LeSabre, the 1999 year below should be the same...To find the resistance chart, click on the coolant temperature sensor link to the right from the page below. The resistance chart is the same for the ECT and IAT.

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/15/e3/62/0900823d8015e362/repairInfoPages.htm

polarzak
05-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks, stuzman, for the link. I clicked on everything on the page below as you suggested, but cannot find a chart. Checked all over the link you provided and can't find a temp chart there either.
Thanks.

BNaylor
05-18-2007, 01:37 PM
cannot find a chart.Thanks.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/lizzywiz/ect.jpg
ECT and IAT Temperature/Resistance Calibration Chart 3100/3400/3800

stuzman
05-18-2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks, stuzman, for the link. I clicked on everything on the page below as you suggested, but cannot find a chart. Checked all over the link you provided and can't find a temp chart there either.
Thanks.

I clicked on the link provided to be sure that it works and then clicked on the "Coolant Temperature Sensor" link on the right side of the page. Everything works...the chart is at the very bottom of this page. In any event, Bnaylor posted a temp/resistance chart.

polarzak
05-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks for all of the help, and saving me from buying a new sensor. I checked the voltage at the connector and it was zero. The wire was broken off in the connector. Anyway all fixed, and code cleared.

Thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!