Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

BOV Question,kinda new to DSMs

crashjdm
05-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Just a quick question to anyone who can give an intelligent answer. I am a technician, I work on Turbo JDM cars all day long. Just purchased a 96 GS-T and have read a few things: Can you set a stock or aftermarket BOV to atmospheric and if not, why? I have access to a TurboXS if this would require an aftermarket, and am capable of blocking off the intake tube.
Thanks.

crunchymilk55
05-16-2007, 06:03 PM
you can but it will hurt the car. you are losing metered air and the ecu will go crazy. Eventually the ECU will learn to compensate, but it is still not recommended unless you switch to an air metering system that measures air after the bov, for example the GM MAF/T system. Everytime you shift you will bog down, and the car will not idle nearly as well, it will die all the time on you.

The stock BOV was not meant to vent and does not hold air well under idle. Do not vent the stock BOV under any circumstances, but if you must, you can vent an aftermarket, but it's not advised. In the future, please search, as this question has been answered many times before.

crashjdm
05-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Sorry about the post, wasn't sure how to search for this topic. How is the GM MAF plumbed/ routed?

crunchymilk55
05-16-2007, 06:45 PM
found this thread in 10 seconds searching for "GM MAFT"

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=627284&highlight=GM+MAFT

it has scottsee's pic's before and after.

Add your comment to this topic!