Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine swap

frank compagnon
05-16-2007, 10:56 AM
my wife has a 67 galaxie 500 convert. 390 ,auto. i want to put a newer 302 or 351w and trans. and disc brakes. i have done a few chevy/gm swaps over the years but no fords. i am looking for info on what would be the best doner car and if any one might share any info on carb/efi engines. the goal would be to have a car that looks stock and would have newer drive line[resto mod]. every part that i want to get for the car, has to be ordered -in because of its age, except oil filters and liquids

MagicRat
05-31-2007, 08:53 PM
Disc brakes was an option on these cars. Find a doner car and swap in the steerng knuckes, and get new rotors, calipers, disc brake master cyl and proportioning valve.

If you cannot find a Galaxie doner car, all '67 Thunderbirds had front discs and shared the same front end components, and could provide parts.

IMO change the ball joints while you are at it.

As for the engine............. the 289 was available on these cars and can provide engine mounts for a 302 or 351W.............. but realistically, why bother?
The 390 is a super reliable power house, that can out perform almost and 302 - 351..........
IMO its a good idea to update the 390. Install an electronic ignition conversion kit into the stock distributor. Also consider swapping the carb for an aftermarket electrnic fuel injection set up. Holley makes the Pro - Jection system which works great and is easy to install. The 2 injector system should be fine. The 4 injector system is probably overkill.

s1120
09-05-2007, 11:27 AM
In that heavy of a car, I bet you would be more happy with a 351w over the 302. The 302 is a good motor, but thats a lot of car for it to move.

If your going FI I would look to maybe getting a mustang computer, and harness, and adapting it to the 351.

Add your comment to this topic!