Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

getting at ignition cylinder

phil 411
05-14-2007, 06:46 PM
I am trying to replace my ignition cylinder on my car because my ignition does not recognize my key. I am getting a message when i try and start my car that says 'please clean key and try in 3 minutes'. I clean key and wait three minutes and it still wont work. i called the dealership and they said first replace the key and if that doesn't work replace the ignition cylinder. I got the key copied and that didn't work. So iam in the process of getting the ignition cylinder replaced and i just cannot get passed the steering wheel lock mechanism. All it is is a big gear that is right in my way so i cant get at the ignition. Can anyone help me?? i would really appreciate it!!

maxwedge
05-15-2007, 06:46 AM
Welcome to AF. Second post the year of the car.

phil 411
05-16-2007, 08:38 PM
its a 1991 olds 98. i have the steering wheel off and a locking plate off behind the steering wheel. The next step is to get at the turn signal mechanism which sits in front of the ignition cylinder...but like i was saying--this gear is right in the way -- its like a big wheel with notches on the edge--its the locking gear for the steering wheel and its right in the way. any advice?

Mickey#1
05-16-2007, 09:19 PM
I'm not sure if you have the locking plate off or if that is what you're calling a gear. If it's the locking plate that's giving you trouble then you need a compression tool to push down the plate (it's spring loaded). With the plate pushed down you'll be able to remove the spring clip.

Does the key for the new switch have a resistor pellet?

phil 411
05-16-2007, 10:15 PM
yes the key has a resistor pellet----and--i have the locking plate off already--i had to buy a steering wheel puller to get the steering wheel off--and i also had to buy that compression mechanism that pushes down the locking plate and i took out that little clip that holds it in--then the locking plate comes right out--but now like i said is that big gear--basically a round metal thing with notches lining the outside. It moves with the steering wheel. when the ignition is put to the off position a little pin pops out and lodges in between one of the notches to lock the steering wheel in place. i cant figure out how to get that gear off.

Mickey#1
05-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Can you post a picture?

phil 411
05-21-2007, 06:56 PM
yea i can get a picture--but it might be a little bit though so dont forget about me!

Add your comment to this topic!