strange oil leak on 95 Camry 4 cyl.

nmikmik
05-13-2007, 05:28 PM
I replaced my sonís 95 Camryís valve cover gasket about 6 month ago. About two month ago I noticed his car leaking oil again. There is a chance that I goofed up with the gasket and did not notice it right away, (checking around the gasket it looks dry) but stillÖ.
Iíve taken out the RF wheel and the splash coved that shields crank pulley from the road dirt. Cleaned the water pump/crank case area with the break cleaner and blow dried it with compressor air. When engine is off obviously all looks nice and clean, but almost a minute after I start the engine I saw a little seepage of the oil through the water pump housing & the aluminum casting where it fits onto the engine (not sure what that part is called) oil also starting to slowly drip along the bend of the water pump housing, itís definitely coming from the top, but I canít see where itís coming from. I also should mention that we recently switched this car to the Walmart brand Super TECH synthetic oil were previously it was running on the Mobil 1, itís just gotten too expensive @ Costco for $29 + tax for 6 qrts.
Any ideas/suggestion?
Thanks,

RIP
05-16-2007, 02:28 PM
I would pull off the timing belt cover and investigate. Anything leaking in there means a timing belt change. Camshaft seal maybe. I'd think the crankshaft seal is too low but, maybe not.

Brian R.
05-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Oil pump housing is known problem.

terrykui
06-12-2007, 03:11 PM
A suggestion: Run the car and watch to see if the oil pressure switch slowly drips oil. It happened to me and was difficult to detect.

papirringo
06-12-2007, 07:52 PM
well the oil pump is not on top of water pump, and how can you see oil on the water pump? to see it you need to remove the timing cover, but any ways, if you see oil on it, or ont top of thermostat housing, you need to replace the camshaft seal or recheck the valve cover seal

nmikmik
07-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks guys!
Just got it back from the mechanic, he says it's the head gasket leaking. That would be the first one for me... :runaround: ? Wouldn't it leak into the coolant first before leaking outside the engine. I am not sure how he determined that, but I am sure NOT going to pull the head gasket unless I am 100% sure. Maybe I should invest in a scope? my wife would love the idea I am sure :iceslolan

mskufc01
07-06-2007, 09:45 PM
It's interesting that your mechanic said the oil leak is coming from the head. I have a 95 Camry with an oil leak behind the engine that drips on the exhaust crossover. My mechanic told me the same thing and I had the same questioin, why am I not getting oil in the water or visa versa. Let me know what you find out.

JOET/CAMRY
07-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Thanks guys!
Just got it back from the mechanic, he says it's the head gasket leaking. That would be the first one for me... runaround ? Wouldn't it leak into the coolant first before leaking outside the engine. I am not sure how he determined that, but I am sure NOT going to pull the head gasket unless I am 100% sure. Maybe I should invest in a scope? my wife would love the idea I am sure :iceslolan

Hello nmikmik and mskufc01,

I have owned a few vehicles in the past that had an oil leak from the head gasket but the oil did not get into the coolant. :) it just depends how the head gasket wears out/lets go. I just continued to drive them as is and kept the oil level topped off. oil stop leak additves did help slow down the leak depending how bad the leak was.
Regards,
JOET/CAMRY

JennyDee
07-07-2007, 08:07 AM
Yes, both my 95's had the same pressure switch leaking issue. Oil was dropping from the back of the engine onto the exhaust pipe. The flow of the oil pressure leak trickled along the side of the head and the rear of the engine. I finally figured where the leak was coming from after I noticed that it only leaked when the engine was running.

Also, the oil pump housing seal as mentioned is also a problem. I had one of my Camry's oil pump seal changed out when I had the water pump and timing belt changed. The oil leak has dimished, but still drips but nothing like it was before it was changed.

My other 95 Camry was going through 1 quart every 300 miles and I did not want to put any more cash into a repair, although I knew the oil pump and or cam seal should be replaced. I tried "No-Leak" Engine oil treatent ( www.goldeagle.com) that I purchased at Wal-Mart and can not believe the results. The oil leak at start up is very minimal compared to what it was doing before I introduced the No Leak engine oil treatment. The real test will be this winter when the seals are dealing with housing and shaft temperature changes here in New England. I would recommend it.

Jenny

mskufc01
07-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Yes, both my 95's had the same pressure switch leaking issue. Oil was dropping from the back of the engine onto the exhaust pipe. The flow of the oil pressure leak trickled along the side of the head and the rear of the engine.
Jenny

Jenny,
How hard is the pressure switch to get to? What's involved and where is it located?

JennyDee
07-07-2007, 09:34 PM
The pressure switch threads into the head located just below the valve cover on the right side of the engine and pointing right at you. Make sure you press the clip on the electrical connector correctly as not to damage it.

Before you replace it, you can test it. Start the car and let it run a few minutes. Then put your finger under the pressure switch and see if you feel any fresh oil. It may not be coming out of the threaded part, but the joint between the connector and the pressure body. The Toyota dealership should have the pressure switch in stock. Jenny

jtoyotaman
07-07-2007, 10:01 PM
may as well go ahead and replace the camshaft seal and while its tore apart go ahead and do the timing belt, water pump, crankshaft seal, etc,, why are you buying six quarts of oil your car only holds four.

Brian R.
07-07-2007, 10:07 PM
I think the subject of this thread indicates why he buys additional oil.

nmikmik
07-08-2007, 12:17 AM
:iagree:
Not only do I add oil all the time, it also comes in the box of 6 quarts from Costco (a wholesale club like Samís- Club in case you donít know what it is) I thought that is the way it comes from any store but apparently not. Anyways, thank you all for your suggestions and help. Iíll try to see tomorrow if the oil sending unit leaks & play from there. Replacement of the head gasket, obviously will be my last resort.
BTW, JOET/CAMRY - did you see the leaks from the headgasket yourself or you've been told that's what was leaking and on what kinda car was it? I should probably stipulate, it's the first one for me on the import engine. On domestics especially those of the 80s, it could and did leak from everywhere :evillol:
Quote: "I have owned a few vehicles in the past that had an oil leak from the head gasket but the oil did not get into the coolant. it just depends how the head gasket wears out/lets go. I just continued to drive them as is and kept the oil level topped off. oil stop leak additves did help slow down the leak depending how bad the leak was.
Regards,
JOET/CAMRY

JOET/CAMRY
07-08-2007, 07:55 PM
:iagree:
Not only do I add oil all the time, it also comes in the box of 6 quarts from Costco (a wholesale club like Sam’s- Club in case you don’t know what it is) I thought that is the way it comes from any store but apparently not. Anyways, thank you all for your suggestions and help. I’ll try to see tomorrow if the oil sending unit leaks & play from there. Replacement of the head gasket, obviously will be my last resort.
BTW, JOET/CAMRY - did you see the leaks from the headgasket yourself or you've been told that's what was leaking and on what kinda car was it? I should probably stipulate, it's the first one for me on the import engine. On domestics especially those of the 80s, it could and did leak from everywhere :evillol:
Quote: "I have owned a few vehicles in the past that had an oil leak from the head gasket but the oil did not get into the coolant. it just depends how the head gasket wears out/lets go. I just continued to drive them as is and kept the oil level topped off. oil stop leak additves did help slow down the leak depending how bad the leak was.
Regards,
JOET/CAMRY

Hello nmikmik,

I can't remember which car/truck I owned at the time but I do remember seeing the engine leaking oil from the head gasket. no leaking oil sender was in the area. It wasn't a really bad leak. no headgasket change was needed.

Actually I think it was my 1981 Toyota 4 x 4 with the 22R engine, 4 speed manual, solid front axle. I wish I never sold it.:banghead: That thing was a beast. it would go practically anywhere.:wink: :rofl:

Good luck fixing your car.

Regards,
JOET/CAMRY

nmikmik
07-08-2007, 09:09 PM
thanks, I think I am going to get some of the engine oil dye, I've had it before but someone - "friend"? "borrowed" it. and then take it to another mechanic with UV light or try to see it myself, i have a set for the A/C. Could not find that pesky oil switch this morning.:disappoin

Add your comment to this topic!