Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

axle leak

derrik38
05-13-2007, 09:26 AM
my 2000 st pickup 4x4 has a front axle leak just passed the rubber but where the two parts connect.looks like the axle seal. but... it never drips onto the ground just a drop right under the seal.ever time i wipe it off and go to look under the truck after driving theres another drop hanging on for dear life.can this be from someone putting the wrong axle lub in.our should i just replace the seal?? ive never replaced a axle seal before but i have some directions from a chilten manual.:screwy:

muddog321
05-14-2007, 05:29 AM
Inboard at the front diff whre the CV goes in (gear oil coming out around the case seal)? If so there is a seal there but you have to pull the hub and CV out to get to it! I would check the diff oil and top it off and not bother till it really started leaking. Make sure its actually gear oil (thick and different smell) and not 10w-30 oil which could be dripping down from one of the oil cooler hoses - make sure.

derrik38
05-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Inboard at the front diff whre the CV goes in (gear oil coming out around the case seal)? If so there is a seal there but you have to pull the hub and CV out to get to it! I would check the diff oil and top it off and not bother till it really started leaking. Make sure its actually gear oil (thick and different smell) and not 10w-30 oil which could be dripping down from one of the oil cooler hoses - make sure. its differntly got a differnt smell.not oil.ill wait to replace it.i hate getting into things that im not sure what im doing anyways.something always breaks.. thanks for the help.:iceslolan

MT-2500
05-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Clean it off and watch the leak real close and find for sure what is leaking.
Axle seal axle boot or just out the end of axle boot.
How many miles is on it?

Add your comment to this topic!