Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1989 Cavalier Transmision shift

Toronado_85
05-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Have a 1989 Cavalier, 2 liter, auto, just changed head gasket & running really good. Did not tough any of the tranny components and now it shifts real late (hig RPM needed). I reset the computer by disconnection the battery, turning the ignition on, and the tranny worked after this, shifted at normal RPM. Must be coinicdence and next day the high RPM shift is back. Looked for anything obivous. Down shit cable I disconnected to make sure it is not the issue. I see the transmision shift connection has an electronic componnent and has a "reset hole" marked with an arrow, but I do not see what it points too.

Anything I can look for, double check on this ? Car has 170k, and tranny oil is clear red. Must have bumped or disconnected something when I did the head gasket, but can not find anything? Help?

noshun
05-12-2007, 02:42 PM
could be as simple as the throttle body needing a clean the TPS could have gunk on it, it could be bad altogether though. just as a check drive it and when it starts to rev too high and you think it shoudl have shifted, slightly lift off the gas and see if it shifts, if so tps most prob the culprit

Toronado_85
05-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Letting off does not let the car shift, need to get to about 4000 rpm then it goes. Tried the TPS and so far no luck, the engine codes are clear (checked them). Any other suggestions?

noshun
05-12-2007, 05:49 PM
I can't think what else form here, i didn't mean completely letting off, i didn't really explain properly, if you lift off the gas as if you were driving a manual just not completely off just lift a little and get back on the gas to where you were before.

if that's what you've tried I don't know what to suggest.

Toronado_85
05-12-2007, 07:33 PM
I found that there is a reset procedure for the throttle valve (TV) cable and this so far has corrected the problem, thanks for the thoughts and replies, they helped to find the problem!

noshun
05-13-2007, 09:02 AM
no problem, that however I have never heard of. mind you I don't play with Auto's much

Add your comment to this topic!