Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'94 G-20 Conv. W/S Wiper PC Board Rplcmnt?

grampsrocks
05-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Hi! I have a '94 Chev. G-20 Conversion Van. It now has 175 M on it & I'm waiting to find a good used rear-end for it. While waiting, I decided to fix up some of the minor "bugs"; the first being the windshield wipers. I determined that the PC control board was kaput, so I bought one. Now I face the problem of replacing it! It sounds simple, but with the addition of all the wooden dashboard covers from Gran Prix, the conversion company, I find that the most practical & simplest way to get at the old PC board is to remove the dashboard cowling (top). Now, it appears as if the entire dashboard may have to be removed, as the cowl extends down the front of the dash in several areas and even wraps under the frontside of the dash. Has anyone removed the cowling & how extensive is the job? Any tips? At 63, with somewhat limited mobility, I no longer do such things as replace engines, transmissions or even mufflers, but still want to do as much as I can. Thanks! Bob

Fecklar
05-12-2007, 07:09 AM
Hi Bob, if you are talking about the pulse board on the wiper motor, yes it's not easy but you don't have to remove the dashboard. I just did this job on my 93 G van about a month ago. Take off as much as you can like you discussed. After that, you should be able to barely see the wiper motor. I did have to get into awkward positions in order to get to the 3 torx screws located on the wiper motor. I also had to use a long 3/8 drive rachet extension with a swivel and 1/4 inch socket with a torx bit on the end of it in order to remove one of the screws. I hope this helps...
Steve

grampsrocks
05-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks Steve! Your information will indeed be very helpful. It sounds like an "all-day-job" but the vehicle is handicapped without wipers. Why don't they make vehicles with dashboards and cowls in small, removeable pieces to make access to a particular area easier? Bob

Add your comment to this topic!