Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Airbag Interchangeability?

clemsparks
05-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Howdy all,

I just got a wrecked '98 Park Avenue. This post is to discuss which vehicles airbags are interchangeable with the Park Avenue.

In my case, I have good airbags and would like to know which cars' owners might be interested in them (I'm not selling them here...there's a post in the classifieds for that). However, I could just as easily need new ones and need to know which cars to search for, to buy airbags from.

Any help on which other cars and years airbags will interchange with the 1998 Buick Park Avenue?

Thanks,
Clem

maxwedge
05-11-2007, 03:16 PM
My parts book shows some interchanges for 98-99 depending on color, be careful here, check with a salvage that has more definitive interchange info.

dugan50
05-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi Clem:
It's never a good idea to interchange airbags form one year to another. The reason being, the manufacturers change the dynamics, impedence, voltage requirements and sensitivity of these systems from one year to another in order to comply with the ever-changing government requirements for safety and deployment.. Thus, although the airbag looks the same & may have the same plug, the internal electronics (and firing mechanism) may be slightly different. This could cause a code to be set, a burned out SDM or in worst case an accidental deployment.
I would suggest that if you wish to use a salvage airbag, (and it's illegal in some states, not all) maintain the year make & model and you should be fine.

Add your comment to this topic!