Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

another trans issue..

lilrogue78
05-10-2007, 10:58 PM
I have a 1990 Probe GT 2.2 Turbo I had just bought it and the clutch pedal stuck on the floor(due to a blown line) so i stuck it in 1st and started it in gear to take off and shifted it on the synchronizers so i had to stop and go a few times and had no issues (i shift without the clutch alot in all my vehicles as is) so i figred awe no big deal so i ploped her into 2nd and punched it and all of a sudden the front wheels locked up and the motor quit so i tried putting it into first well she wont shift and a friend pushstarted it with their truck and is feels as if its in 3rd full time (4K rpms at 55) i think is 3rd but problem is ITs IN NEUTRAL? huh Well i try putting it in gear and it grinds every time i try to shift it into somthi8ng else and i can shift into 4th 2nd and partly into third but the rest em seem as tho it just barely tries to go in but wont but only when its not running A friend told me about a plate on the trans for the shifter (kinda like a double H that is rivited on i guess that might have snaped off but neways any help is appreciated thanks

4sho
07-20-2007, 02:23 PM
This problem seems very familiar to me. I have a '92 Probe GT and I think you are having the same problem i had. Essentially there is a fork in your transmission box that engages the transmission into the correct gear. When this fork breaks you loose half of your gears. You'll either loose 1st, 3rd, and 5th (in which case you'll still have 2nd, 4th and reverse) or you'll loose 2nd, 4th and reverse (in which case you'll still have 1st, 3rd, and 5th). If the fork suddenly moves around the gears that you have will change. I was driving mine with 2nd, 4th and reverse when i hit a bump and all of a sudden had 1st, 3rd and 5th but lost 2nd, 4th and reverse. So essentially your transmission is crap. Either gotta find a replacement (which is pretty hard and costs about $400-$500 just for the part not including installation) or get the transmission rebuilt or if your smart sell the car for parts and get rid of it.

buggyfreak
08-01-2007, 08:00 PM
hhhhhhhmmmmm let me think you fried the bearings burnt your sychronizers and screwed your transmission, pull the trans out and pull off that black metal cover and try to spin the gears in the trans if they move with no noise( which i doubt it) trans would be fine but again i dont think that is the case junkyard trans cost 250 good luck

Add your comment to this topic!