Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Before I make an Ass of myself...

mistermoonpie
05-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Hey guys OK I got a quick question here. My g/f used to be best friends with this guy, then he got an automatic 2006 Mustang (v6) and now he thinks hes all bad and he's an ass to her, so obviously we don't like him very much. I have a 97 3KGT sl with manual transmission. I think it would be really satisfying to beat him in a race, but it would be even more embarassing to lose. So, "before I make an ass of myself", I wanted to know if you guys think that a manual 3kgt would beat an auto 06 mustang in the 1/4 mile or somethin from dead stop. thanks

Shpyder
05-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Bench racing is baaaad.

Those new mustang V6's are 210hp, 4.0L. He's RWD, so he's got more drivetrain power loss that your FWD, plus he's an auto and his car has a 6100 RPM redline... those things dont exactly make it a firecracker on the drag strip.

Youre making about the same power as his car with less torque, but you have a higher redline, plus a manual tranny, and dont have as much drivetrain loss. But keep in mind the fact that your car is 10 years older than his...depends on how much you want to push it.

I'd bet the odds were actually with you. I'd give it a shot.

mistermoonpie
05-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Well my car is in EXCELLENT condition for how old it is, it even still smells like new car leather. And I've seen him drive by a few times, and his car makes some pretty nasty sounds, like the engine is't quite right or something, so i figured that increased my chances a little. He treats his car like shit, so I wouldnt be surprised if it had some mechanical problems. I wouldn't push it to redline, but if it meant winning I would have no problem takin it up to around 6300 rpms. I'm fairly confident in my driving skills if that helps at all

mistermoonpie
05-10-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm not planning on takin this to a track or anything. I was just wondering, if he should ever pull up next to me at a red light, whether it would be worth it to have a quick little 0-60 race or somethin like that. On that note, would I be better off makin it a longer race? I have no idea whether I would have more luck from 0-60 or if i would do better at a higher speed.

Hotshot8792
05-10-2007, 12:37 PM
V6 mustangs are dogs, you shouldn't have any problems taking him if your at least a decent driver

Edit: I just noticed he said new mustang. That will make it a close race, but they are still dogs.

mistermoonpie
05-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Sounds like im pretty much gettin a thumbs up on this. With that said, I know most of you have vr-4's, but what rpm range should I shift at for max power? If I remember correctly, they get 2**hp at 5500RPM's (but i could be wrong) so does that mean shat I should shift at 5500 for max power, or should i push to 6000 so im at higher rpm's when i get to the next gear?

talskinyguy
05-10-2007, 01:48 PM
I think you will lose. They run low 15's and have a traction advantage. The only time FWD is better than RWD is when cost is involved. cheaper to make, cheaper to drive.

jason_bet
05-10-2007, 02:09 PM
you should GET UP IN HIS GRILL! haha get him to race you for 700 bucks!! and then go buy a $700 nitrous set up with a 75 shot and kick his ass then you got the kit for free! haha

Thats what I would do.. however, you wont redline your car.. so my guess is nitrous scares you...

BeZerK2112
05-10-2007, 03:11 PM
you should GET UP IN HIS GRILL! haha get him to race you for 700 bucks!! and then go buy a $700 nitrous set up with a 75 shot and kick his ass then you got the kit for free! haha
I love that Idea!

You should be careful. You have a little more power then he does but he has a lot more torque. It would be a really close race. You can win is if he drives like an idiot but in reality he just has to mash the gas. You would need a good launch and great shifting. Let us know if it ever happens.

BTW he bought a chick car!

talskinyguy
05-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Debateable on the 3000GT having more power.

TorchedStealth
05-10-2007, 04:28 PM
I would say give it a try and dont be afraid to redline your car. I wouldnt go around doing it everyday but it wont hurt to do it once and a while. My friend's dad had a 05 V6 mustang convertible auto and from a roll it seem just a little quicker than me, but im auto. They do launch pretty good for an auto tho so be careful there. I could tell you a close estimate on how close it will be because i was supposed to race him but he totalled the car and ended up in the hospital 2 weeks ago. But im auto anyways, you will have a better chance. O yeah and i would go up to a higher speed because our aerodynamics are way better than the new stangs.

mistermoonpie
05-10-2007, 04:41 PM
alright so now it seems like im gettin more mixed responses here. FIRST OF ALL, torchedstealth I hope your friends dad gets better soon. second of all, I am confident in my shifting abilities, and I'm not afraid to redline it if it means that I have a better chance, as long as you guys promise it won't mess up the car (no nitrous for me tho, too 'spensive). Third, could the fact that his car sounds messed up play a huge role when it comes to power? Ya know when you drive down the street and someone drives by in an old beat up van that makes strange sounds and you think "GOD i hope that isn't MY car makin those noises"? well thats the sound it makes when he drives, more or less. I've been behind him in a turn only-lane once, and he pulled one of those chickenshit moves where they speed off before the light turns so I'm left off guard, and I followed him and kept up the whole time. So judging by that I dont thikn that his car can beat mine once we get goin. What's the top speed on the mustang? And he has the JUDGE on his, but I dont know whether there's one on the 3kgt's too, and what kind of difference it wuold make anyway

Twizted_3KGT
05-10-2007, 05:58 PM
It'll be close...that's the point of racing, to find out...sitting here talking about it will not give you a definite answer. If I drove my g/f's '94 SL, I would win against a stock '06 Stang V6. Depends on if you know how to launch/shift. V6 Stangs have always been POS's in my book, but they're getting more "respectable" now....i guess.

VR43000GT
05-10-2007, 06:11 PM
With some good driving it would be close. If you are afraid to take your car high up in the power band then forget it.

TorchedStealth
05-10-2007, 08:42 PM
FIRST OF ALL, torchedstealth I hope your friends dad gets better soon.

Hes better now. The funny thing is he is a cop and he was speeding and all that. Its scary though because i was messing around with him in the 4-lane one-way after school going around traffic and stuff (dont worry i was safe) and then about an hour later he totalled the car.

Shpyder
05-11-2007, 03:16 AM
The only time FWD is better than RWD is when cost is involved. cheaper to make, cheaper to drive.
I would disagree with that statement. With the minute power his stock SL is putting down, a differential would only lead cause unnecessary drivetrain loss. At 200hp, with both cars being heavy, I think he has an advantage in the fact that he is FWD, and has a higher redline. Obviously, for high powered applications, you want a push rather than a pull, so RWD is the only way to go, but not in this case (imo).

they get 2**hp at 5500RPM's (but i could be wrong) so does that mean shat I should shift at 5500 for max power, or should i push to 6000 so im at higher rpm's when i get to the next gear?
Horespower is continuously variable throughout the RPM band. Even though you may be making peak hp below redline, shifting at redline is what you want in a drag race (unless is is completely detrimental; like running a T-25 turbo to redline, where your making much more heat than power, and its not worth it, since you are likey to get knock). You decrease wheel torque by half per shift. It's all math relating to gearing, and the same reason why many small motor cars can outcompete much larger engined competitors. A 500 tq car that redlines at 3000RPM wont get far if its put up against a 200tq car that redlines at 10,000RPM. hp = (tq * RPM)/5252. It's all about hp and gearing.

I highly recommend you read this article:
http://vettenet.org/torquehp.html

talskinyguy
05-11-2007, 09:14 AM
Well I just noticed that the mustang is auto. I aparently missed that part the first time. That gives you a better shot as long as you can launch the car and shift well. I think it will be close. Now go race him and find out.

mistermoonpie
05-11-2007, 09:21 AM
K guys thanks for all that, I think im just gonna go ahead and do it. The only reason I wasn't goin to is beacause he's already a spoiled stuck-up ass hole who thinks hes better than everyone, and I didnt want to give him another reason to think so. My ultimate goal is to beat him and wipe that smirk off of his face, but at the same time I DEFINITELY dont want to be the reason that it gets even bigger, ya kno?

mistermoonpie
05-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Quick question on redlining...if the max RPMs is 9000, but the numbers turn red at 7000, am I "redlining it" once I pass 7000, or am I "redlining it" when i reach the end at 9000?

hawk362
05-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Yeah definitely take it from me personally i raced a 06 auto mustang straight piped, i beat him by 2 car lengths, i have intake, full exhaust, underdrive pulley, then again this mustang was in good condition. I would like to say stock they run low 15's to mid 15's if they are infact automatic.

Twizted_3KGT
05-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Quick question on redlining...if the max RPMs is 9000, but the numbers turn red at 7000, am I "redlining it" once I pass 7000, or am I "redlining it" when i reach the end at 9000?

:eek: ....OMG don't race him rofl....

REDlining is when the needle hits the RED part of the tachometer.

hawk362
05-11-2007, 10:01 AM
I agree bro i think you should hold up on the race do some practice runs with experience stick drivers, i'm not doubting your capabilities to shift but just to have a little experience under your wing on redlining may help oh I'd say a lot!

mistermoonpie
05-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Ok see thats what I thought, but then ther was that comment about a car redlining at 10000 RPMS and that is close to the 9000 on mine, so I thought that someone was saying that it was different from what I thought

Shpyder
05-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Ok see thats what I thought, but then ther was that comment about a car redlining at 10000 RPMS and that is close to the 9000 on mine, so I thought that someone was saying that it was different from what I thought

haha, no bro, there are many motors that redline at 9K RPM or above (many are modded, of course). The SBR 6-bolt 4g63 I got for my Spyder had a 10,000 RPM redline, actually tested to 9,200RPM by SBR. Redline starts when the numbers start going red.

And yeah, I think you should maybe wait a little before you race. Go practice some launches at your local 1/4 strip (hopefully you have one near you), and for this particular race, launch is so important, since both cars are more or less evenly matched, though I think you may have a tiny advantage over him.

AutostradaVR4
05-11-2007, 02:35 PM
The SBR 6-bolt 4g63 I got for my Spyder had a 10,000 RPM redline, actually tested to 9,200RPM by SBR.

that's Nucking Futs...

aerosoul
05-12-2007, 10:12 AM
you should have him no problem, ive raced plenty of punkstangs in my sl and have come out the victor in all. if you dont feel confident then race him from a roll from personal experience ive pulled on 05,06,07 and foxbodys faster from a roll.

Stealthee
05-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Foxbodys aint nothing. Heck 79-98 V8 Stangs stock are an even race with a DOHC. 99+ V8's are more of TT territory. The V6s really didnt grow any balls until 05.

Shpyder
05-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Foxbodys aint nothing. Heck 79-98 V8 Stangs stock are an even race with a DOHC. 99+ V8's are more of TT territory. The V6s really didnt grow any balls until 05.
:iagree: I never though they were that slow until I dusted the crap out of one myself, and I couldnt beleive it. I mean, the SL isn't quick by any standard, and I was just amazed how slow those early stock V-8s were. Like, wtf were these engineers thinking man?? All that displacement, and still slow? First thing that comes to mind is silly gearing. Sht, the 455 ci big block in my '69 Toronado is 400hp and about 450tq...at 2800RPM. That beast is slower than a geo metro, though it could probably tow a house. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

AutostradaVR4
05-13-2007, 04:36 AM
...400hp and about 450tq...at 2800RPM. That beast is slower than a geo metro, though it could probably tow a house. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

ROFL. definitely quotable.

talskinyguy
05-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Impossible, I have a geo metro, and in all its 55hp 46mpg glory it is the slowest vehicle I have ever driven.

It was kinda odd owning a 1 liter car that is 55 hp, and a 1 liter motorcycle that was 155hp.

mistermoonpie
05-14-2007, 11:17 AM

are you serious? theyre that slow? I never bothered to race one just becaus I figured there wasnt any point...Will a SL really give, oh say a 95 stock v8 musatang, good competition? Does that count for both GT's and Cobra's?

Igovert500
05-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Doesn't count for a cobra. But yes an SL can give an 95GT a good run. My friend had a 98 (iirc) GT, and would run 15.1s all day. THere have been SLs on this board that have run 14.9s. Now granted, the SL is more likely to be a tad slower, but it can easily come down to driver skill. The next 2 generations of GTs got faster, and the cobras were always faster than the GTs.

mistermoonpie
05-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Now when you say driver's skill, what exactly are you referring to? Off the top of my head, the only thing I can think of is shifting at the right RPM's and shifting quick to get back on the gas ASAP. What else do I need to know?

Hotshot8792
05-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Now when you say driver's skill, what exactly are you referring to? Off the top of my head, the only thing I can think of is shifting at the right RPM's and shifting quick to get back on the gas ASAP. What else do I need to know?

you need to know how to launch the car

Zeiss
05-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Launching an SL is not very difficult, I think the SL would win, especially from a roll. Its funny because I know some guys with 07 mustangs, V6 and V8s they are all cocky. I even had a guy with a 06 6cyl stang race me for a tank of gas! Needless to say I got 35 dollars of gas and he got a red face:)
And hey Shpyder my cousin had a 67? Toro and that thing hauled ass pretty good for weighing 8000lbs lol. He beat my 92 camaro w/305 pretty good with it.
To the topic poster, if your really worried, borrow someones Nos kit and throw in a 75 shot and call it a day.

Shpyder
05-19-2007, 11:58 PM
And hey Shpyder my cousin had a 67? Toro and that thing hauled ass pretty good for weighing 8000lbs lol. He beat my 92 camaro w/305 pretty good with it.

:eek7:

Wow, you sure? Damn...I wonder if those 20's are slowing me down then :rofl:

Add your comment to this topic!