Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Windstar 3.0

jgaches
05-08-2007, 11:51 PM
I need help! My brake pedel was going down to the floor so I changed front pads as they were worn. Back shoes were ok. I went to bled front but right front could not get fluid. There is fluid to left front. The ABS and BRAKE lights both are working properly. So I changed the right front caliper and then the brake hose. Still no fluid. I started at the ABS unit and there is fluid to all wheel lines. The right front line has 2 parts. There is fluid to the split and the second line I can blow air through But still no fluid to the right front. Any ideas?

jgaches
05-09-2007, 11:59 AM
:banghead: I need help! My brake pedel was going down to the floor so I changed front pads as they were worn. Back shoes were ok. I went to bled front but right front could not get fluid. There is fluid to left front. The ABS and BRAKE lights both are working properly. So I changed the right front caliper and then the brake hose. Still no fluid. I started at the ABS unit and there is fluid to all wheel lines. The right front line has 2 parts. There is fluid to the split and the second line I can blow air through But still no fluid to the right front. Any ideas?

jgaches
05-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Has anybody had a problem in bleeding the brakes on a 98 windstar? I really appreciate any help you can give me.

wiswind
05-09-2007, 08:52 PM
You could try one of those hand vaccum pumps....and try pulling the fluid.
I connect mine to the bleeder screw.....pump up some vaccum, and then, using a thin "bleeder" wrench, open the bleeder screw....and pump the vaccum pump to draw the fluid out.
I have a "Mighty-Vac" that has a vaccum gauge on it.

It sounds like you have a LOT of air in there.....and using the vaccum pump should enable you to pump a vaccum....which will pull the fluid down.

Air Compresses (and the opposite....goes to a vaccum), the fluid does NOT compress.....
Just a little air in the system will cause the pedal to go soft....and even to the floor, as you mention.

Once you get the fluid to flow freely (make sure you don't pump the master cylinder dry), pump a fair amound more fluid out......then....with a vaccum pumped up on the pump.....close the bleeder screw.....preventing air from entering back in as you close the screw.

It might take a bit to get all the air out of the system.
I had a bit of air in my brake system.....and the pedal felt firm until I started the engine.....so be super sure about it before you take off down the road.....
I would drive up and down the driveway a bit before going into the street.

LeSabre97mint
05-09-2007, 10:15 PM
[quote=jgaches]I need help! My brake pedel was going down to the floor so I changed front pads as they were worn. Back shoes were ok. I went to bled front but right front could not get fluid. There is fluid to left front. The ABS and BRAKE lights both are working properly. So I changed the right front caliper and then the brake hose. Still no fluid. I started at the ABS unit and there is fluid to all wheel lines. The right front line has 2 parts. There is fluid to the split and the second line I can blow air through But still no fluid to the right front. Any ideas?[/quote

Hello

How many miles on your 98? How long have you owned it? Have you done a brake job before?

I've seen brake bleeders plugged and not allow fluid to come out. Try removing the bleeder all the way and check to see if it's pluged. I've also heard of brake hoses clapsing on the inside and act like a check valve and not allow the calaper to release causing the brakes to drag. I don't know if it could happen the other way.

Regards

Dan

Add your comment to this topic!