Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Racing Seats in a WRX (a few questions)

Icemaster
05-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Hi I have recently aquired a 03 WRX. Anyway, I was interested in putting some MOMO T Frame racing style seats inside. I however I had some questions on them (and racing styled seats in general).

1. What seat works best in the WRX? As in fits in the vehicle well, giving good support and headroom at the same time. I am fairly small, but sometimes I have larger passengers etc.

2. My girlfriend is particularly worried about getting her clothes messed up with a 4 point seat belt :screwy: . Are their alternatives to this? Exchangable seat belts etc, or a seat belt that I can install that may be lower profile on the passenger's seat?

3. How hard/or easy is it to install? What am I looking for to get the seat safely and securely installed into the car.

4. What am I looking for when installing seat belts? I want a 4 point, how far will I have to "dig in" to the get them securely attached?

5. For those of you out there who have racing seats or have used them. What are the pro's and con's besides aesthetics?

Thanks

freakray
05-09-2007, 06:46 AM
When it comes to racing seats, it's more important the seat fits YOU than what 'suits your car'. The point of a racing seat is to provide critical support to the occupant in specific conditions. If you're looking to get 'racing seats' just for the looks, get some STI seats or something that will be a direct bolt in to your car.

2turboimports
05-10-2007, 03:10 AM
Harder to get in and out of the car in. I have a momo seat and w/ a 38" waist they are a bit tight....losing it thought lol. I think the tighter the seat, the more cofortable, when I get in the car it's awesome...however, getting in and out comfortable is gone lol

Icemaster
05-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Are the your Harnesses DOT approved?

Also does the installation of a 4 or 5 point require me to have a cage or other mounting device? I have heard a mix of articles saying that I needed a cage or a bar, some others say that the harnesses can be installed elsewhere.

Does the installation require the removal of the stock seat belts?
I would like to keep my stock seat belts in the vehicle to transition between them.

freakray
05-10-2007, 08:11 PM
You will not need to remove the stock seatbelt part located on the 'B' pillar, you may need to remove the waist clip when you remove the stock seats though in order to successfully install the 'racing' seats. Ideally the harness bar should be as far rearward as possible and slightly below the shoulder height of the shortest person to use the harness. You can obtain harness bars which are made to fit in the car with the stock rear seats in place.

SabreKhan
05-18-2007, 07:50 PM
There are also harness kits out there that attach to the rear seat safety belt attachment points, so there's no harness bar required. However, studies have shown that there is a danger of spinal compression in certain types of impacts when using these types of harnesses. Plus, it eliminates your back seat usage.

LjasonL
05-21-2007, 03:37 AM
I kept my stock belts in, my 4 points have quick disconnect clips, I only put them in place for show purposes. The stock belts work pretty well...

Add your comment to this topic!