Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

944 turbo???

solar-eclipse
05-08-2007, 10:01 AM
hey im looking in on buying a 944 turbo with 107,000 miles for about 4,000 on it its a 1986, any idea on the psi the turbo is pushing and would it be better than buying like an eclipse or something like that???

RACER D12
05-08-2007, 10:14 PM
HELL YES!!!

If you have found a decent running 944 Turbo (AKA 951) for $4000 buy it! Because that is an awesome price. To compare I paid a little over $7000 for mine with 92,000 miles and I thought that was a good deal. Stock these turbos run around 10psi. But by just chipping it you can push it to around 15psi and still be pretty safe. After that though its time for a bigger turbo. There are many after market companies for these cars. Check out rennlist.com for info on these cars. And vitesseracing.com or Lindseyracing.com for parts.

Is it better then an eclipse?... depends, whats "better" to you? Its not cheaper thats for sure, but saying you have a Porsche is a lot different then saying you have a Mitsubishi. Performance wise its better then the Fwd eclipses but AWD GSX's are another story. Again it depends what you want. The 951 is NOT a good drag car from a stop because it has weak CV shafts that break from too many hard launches. Not a hard or expensive fix, but let it be known if you make it a habit of doing 5000RPM clutch drops you will be changing them often. They do love highway runs though and have no problem ripping through the triple digits... ask me how I know:naughty: And with their NEAR perfect 50/50 weight split they handle amazingly. Its a great track car. But anyways obviously im biased:icon16: I own and love these cars so of course Im pro 951.

Samurai75007
05-09-2007, 07:40 AM
Wish I could have found a turbo for that price, I only had 3 days to find a car at the time and settled with a N/A 2.5lr though it will soon be getting a 3.0supercharged engine.

solar-eclipse
05-09-2007, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE=RACER D12]But by just chipping it you can push it to around 15psi and still be pretty safe.

what do you mean chipping it?? im just trying to push about 13 or 12 but chipping?? the car is in mint condition no rust no anything its got leather interior that alright no tears or anything but yeah

Samurai75007
05-09-2007, 09:37 AM
like new cars the engine is run by a computer, you can change the function of the computer by changing one chip. This gives you your largest performance gain for the price.

solar-eclipse
05-09-2007, 09:41 AM
alrtigt i bought the car, if you want to see it before the guy takes it off ebay,

heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220109443452&rd=1&rd=1

got him at $4250.00 thanks for the help, respond and tell me what you think..

RACER D12
05-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Wow looks like you got a great deal. Try to get all the service records with the car too. It VERY important to make sure the car has had its timing belt changed recently. If your timing belt breaks kiss your engine goodbye because the valves will strike the pistons and you will need a complete rebuild or new engine. Other then that keep us updated and feel free to ask questions. I’m not a mechanic but I try to do all my own work so I’m pretty familiar with the car.

PS- You really should check out rennlist.com and go to the 944 turbo forum there. TON of guys there that really know their stuff.

Add your comment to this topic!