How do I clean an egr valve on a 96 suburban 1500?

acme1
05-08-2007, 02:21 AM
I am having a problem with a stuttering problem in my 5.7, someone told me to clean the egr valve but I don't know what to use. Any help?

MT-2500
05-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Remove and look for carbon ball under plunger.
If it has a good idle look for other things.
Give us some more details or information on the stuttering.

acme1
05-10-2007, 03:23 AM
I have been noticing a power loss when I floor the accelerator and it gets to a higher rpm but if i let my foot off the pedal a bit it shifts into second and goes. . . Ok so that was the problem up to yesterday, I drove the truck for about an hour and a half and I noticed while I was on the freeway and I tried to accelerate I actually lost speed, while this was going on my check engine light came on. I pulled off the freeway and I had a problem even accelerating to 30 mph. I got it home, let it cool down a little bit, and took it for a drive. The torque was back but it still had the previous problem when I floored it. I brought it home, parked it, and let it sit over night. I got in it this morning and had no problems at all, it accelerated and shifted perfect so I have a feeling it is an issue when the engine gets hot.

MT-2500
05-10-2007, 09:29 AM
If the engine light came on check the code and post back code no.
I do not think the EGR valve will cause them things.
I would be checking fuel filter and fuel pressure and tune up end.
If that is all alright to check back pressure on the cat.
Let us know how it goes.
Good luck.
MT

acme1
05-10-2007, 03:44 PM
I think the codes will have to wait, I cant come up with the $150 right now, as far as the fuel filter goes, I changed that last week with no change in performance.

MT-2500
05-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Some local auto parts places like az GIVE FREE CODES CHECKS.
But just get code no and post it back here.
MT

acme1
05-11-2007, 10:13 PM
I went to Autozone and got the codes from the check engine light, (it always came on when the tranny slipped and the engine stumble occurred) here are the codes P0131 sensor circut low voltage bank 1 sensor 1 and P0151 sensor circut low voltage bank 2 sensor 1, I checked the book and these are both oxygen sensors but does anybody know where these are located?? Also could this contribute to the problems I am having?? Those were the only codes to come up, any help would be great. Thank you.

MT-2500
05-12-2007, 10:48 AM
There the first sensors on right and left side.
But a code does not say replace the sensors .
They say check it out.
The codes are low voltage or open circuit on sensors.
I would suggest a good engine tune up first thing.
Engine not running right or running cold or lean could cause the codes.
MT

acme1
05-12-2007, 01:57 PM
I went ahead and replaced the sensors with new ones, dorve it around and it ran great for about a day. The check engine light came back on and the same codes popped up on the scanner. Now it is running worse than before, do you think it could be a clogged cat on both banks? I have given the truck a full tune up a few month back but this is a never ending problem. Any help would be great.

acme1
06-15-2007, 01:20 AM
Oh yeah, the tranny issues went away with the new o2 sensors so I know the tranny is fine.

MT-2500
06-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Oh yeah, the tranny issues went away with the new o2 sensors so I know the tranny is fine.

If you suspect a cat problem run a back pressure check on it.
Or for a quick test drop exhaust system and see how it does.
MT

acme1
06-15-2007, 10:50 AM
The problem usually occurs when I am on my way to Santa Cruz going over 17, other than that it idles fine but it stubles under hard acceleration, what tools do I need to get to do a back pressure test?

MT-2500
06-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Check your AZ store and see if they have a exhaust back pressure gauge.
Some will loan rent or sell you tools.
A repair shop will check it for you.
A good muffler exhaust shop can also check it but some push cat selling.
Also a good engine vacuum gauge will check back pressure.
Check vacuum at idle and at 700-850 rpm then speed up to 2K range.
If vacuum drops at 2K range it is a indication of plugged exhaust.
MT

acme1
06-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Great info, thanks. I will repost with the info I find out.

Add your comment to this topic!