Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 crown vic headlight problem

johnebarrett
05-06-2007, 06:02 PM
my headlights will switch off and later turn back on. I hear a click when they go off, i'm thinking its a relay, but i'm not sure where it's located. Any ideas?

Stale Trooper
05-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Sounds like a short in your headlight circuit. The headlight switch has a built-in circuit breaker which is most likely the click you are hearing. Start at the headlights and work your way back to the switch. Wiggle wires and look for loose connections (power & grounds). Check for pinched or rubbing points, or screws that could penetrate the wiring harness, also look closely at any place the harness trouches metal. Good Luck!

ratm4705
05-10-2007, 06:22 PM
My car did the same thing it turned out being the lighting control module.

03cvpi
05-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Does this have the standard output headlamp bulbs. If so I would check the wiring harness to the lights from the lights to the main poer box by the battery and back to the LCM. If all connections are good and the grounds, it is most likely the LCM module. It would be good idea to ohm the light switch also, I have seen a few of them go bad, usually wiggling the switch will cause the lights to flicker on/off. If you have something like sylvania ultras, there may be to high of an amp load for an older LCM, You maybe able to cheat and run an aux lighting relay and pull light power off the battery. This requires a bit of electrical know how and is not for inexpierienced.

fleettech
05-11-2007, 07:16 AM
We have had a bunch of 03's with interment lighting and wiper problems we have traced it to an improperly routed wiring harness from the distribution box under the right front near the front bumper support rod. the harness will rub the rod and will short out causing it to short out

Add your comment to this topic!