Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Corsica clanking under car and vibration

JBHoward
05-06-2007, 05:06 PM
While driving my 93 3.1L Corsica a noise which sounds like it is under the car toward the right side will give a clanking noise or like something is rattling. Sitting on that side you can sometimes feel it, but it doesn't do it all the time, but more often now. The car also will vibrate at low to mid speeds.. not as bad since I replaced my tires but still doing so. If you go on up to 70 or faster it smooths out slightly, but not completely. The steering wheel will vibrate and occassionally (rare a pop occurs). Plus 2 days ago for the first time and only once for a short few seconds a squeel occured while turning left on the right side of the car as well.

I was going to go ahead and replace the ujoint and when I went to autozone they said I needed the CV Drive as ujoint n/a and I got it. After I got it was unsure if that is the problem at all, and can still return it. A bit worry as have never tried to replace this part before, but have a manual.

Any suggestions of something else or should I go ahead and replace this part. The car has just went over 100,000 miles.

Thanks for any input.
John

jsgold
05-21-2007, 08:24 PM
Just a thought. I work on our old 91 whenever possible, but, some things I leave to others. CV joints and struts are two. Maybe not as tough as I think but the labor for a cv joint replacement is only 50 bucks here, so I do not try and fight that stuff. Some garages won't install parts you bring in but a lot will. But you are on the right track. If the cv boot gets torn these fail quickly. Ours luckily has made it to 204K on originals but they can fail much earlier.

Add your comment to this topic!