Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Real Bad Idle And Runs Like Crap

90talonfwd
05-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Hi, I am new to this so if i dont cover everything im sorry.

I have a 1990 talon FWD 2.0 DOHC with T3/T4 turbo JDM BOV and aftermarket tubing. I recently replaced the rings and head gasket and have never done it before. So i put everything back together and forgot to tighten the ilder pulley. the T-belt came off and i had to replace the head. so i did that and timed it. then i started it and it ran good then it started cutting then it got real bad as i drove it, it kept dying and overheating and at an idle it vibrates and misses real bad, and now has hardley any powerwhen you try to move it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME :banghead:

Black99GST
05-05-2007, 11:25 PM
sounds like the timming is off again, head/block wasnt machined to fit the block/head before the head was put back, causing the head not to seal against the block, causing overheating. :2cents: thats all i can get out of the info you've provided, dont quote me on any of this for it is late, and i've had far to much to drink already.

gthompson97
05-06-2007, 02:29 AM
Welcome to AF, please take the time to read the rules and FAQ on the main page.

Have you done anything to check to see if the timing is off again? Or maybe a compression test to see if you bent any more valves? Things like this need to be done so we can help you further.

P.S. Thanks for posting in the correct sub-forum, not many newbies tend to do that.

90talonfwd
05-06-2007, 11:49 AM
no i have not checked timing again, i dont see how it cancome out of time once you time it. but i will check the timing and the compression and get back to you. thanks oh by the way i also have an safc hooked up. and the head was used but everything is good.. im at a loss, i will let you guys know if the timing is off thanks.

90talonfwd
05-06-2007, 01:09 PM
ok i checked the timing and it was way off, how does it get out of time when i timed it???? thanks

gthompson97
05-06-2007, 01:16 PM
You didn't do it correctly. I have tons and tons of timing jobs and never had one jump. I could see maybe your first one jumping, but not the second, you're doing something wrong somewhere along the way. You better hope to god you didn't bend anymore valves.

90talonfwd
05-06-2007, 01:44 PM
i put as much tension on the belt as i could, so i dont know why it would jump

gthompson97
05-06-2007, 01:52 PM
You're not supposed to put as much as you can on it, you're supposed to follow the specs. Did you follow any directions or did you just blindly jump into it?

EDIT: http://www.vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-2G.html

4g63gst20
05-07-2007, 06:07 PM
i put as much tension on the belt as i could, so i dont know why it would jump
Are you using a timing belt from mitsu? I decided to save 30 bucks and i bought it from checker, and i bent about valves to different times, then i got a timing belt from the dealership and problem solved.

gthompson97
05-07-2007, 11:52 PM
I wouldn't say it's an aftermarket timing belt issue, I've ran many, many aftermarket belts (Cloyes) and had no problems, you just need to do the procedure right.

solar-eclipse
05-08-2007, 11:08 AM
like stated above, what u need to do is have a compression test dont to see if u bent any of the valves, thats your problem im sure, is that some, or most of your valves are bent!

90talonfwd
05-08-2007, 07:22 PM
i fixed the problem. i was not doing the timing right but i got it, now it just misses, but i think thats the coil.

90talonfwd
05-16-2007, 01:20 AM
ok the missing is still there and the coil is good. but i lost power all of the sudden it seems like the turbo is the only thing that i making it have power.
but like i said it misses real bad at idle and on deceleration but kind of gutless on acceleration!!!

thunderchicken2
05-18-2007, 02:13 PM
ok the missing is still there and the coil is good. but i lost power all of the sudden it seems like the turbo is the only thing that i making it have power.
but like i said it misses real bad at idle and on deceleration but kind of gutless on acceleration!!!

Maybe change the spark plugs and wires for the miss? And as for the other part, do a boost leak test. I found multiple leaks on my car, and after I fixed them it felt like I was driving a completely different car.

spyderturbo007
05-18-2007, 07:25 PM
How bad is the miss? My Spyder was missing about 3 years ago and I found out that there was a TSB about condensation forming the spark plug wells. If you do replace the plugs and wires, I like to do it on a hot dry day. Leave the hood up with the wires removed for a little to burn off any condensation. Just make sure you leave the plugs in just in case anything might fall in. It sounds weird, but it worked for me.

If it's a pretty bad miss, it could be a lot of things. Do you have a CEL? How much boost are you running? What are your other mods? Do you have a logger?

Add your comment to this topic!