Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Another Security light (passlock) question...

525Todd
05-05-2007, 08:36 PM
1999 Olds bravada. I have owned it for six months or so. Security light came on a few times, but went out while driving. Turck wouldnt start, thought it was fuel pump since it only carried about 37 PSI on the port with a gague. Changed fuel pump out, and it ran fine for a few days. Now the security light comes on and sends it into a no start. I did the bump the key, wait 10 minute thing, light went out, and it will start if you give it a second or two after turning key back on. If you go right from off to start without a pause, it sends it into passlock. SOmetimes it goes into passlock all itself. It does have an aftermarket starter on it, and has since 2000. I cant believe that after 7 years of flawless operation it now thros up codes. If you have any solutions or suggestions, I would appreciate it. Just remember to be VERY specific about location and what it is, as I am mechanically inclined, but electrically neglegent.......LOL

MT-2500
05-05-2007, 10:19 PM
First step of the repair is to get the the body computer scanned for codes with a body computer capable scanner and get code and post back code no.
And remember just a OBD11 scanner or code reader will not get body PCM codes.
Also remote starts and the anti theft do not get along good on some.
MT

525Todd
05-06-2007, 07:47 AM
IS there a wsay to just unhook a harness to get rid of the body codes? What exactly is all of this stuff and what does it do???

MT-2500
05-06-2007, 09:15 AM
No way just to unhook it.
The only way to clear codes is with a high end body capable scanner.
And if it still has a problem the code will come right back.
It involves your anti theft system.
To learn more about it I would suggest a factory service manual or a All data subscription.
Also you might run a search on here for your problem.
Here is a link to the all data subscription.
http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html
MT

MT-2500
05-06-2007, 10:06 AM
To add.
There is two different anti theft systems that year.
On just shuts off engine running and the other one also flashes lights and blows horn.
The pellet in the key systems gives a lot of problems with the wiring in the ign switch and also some times the pellet in the key wears off.
Always try another known good key in it.
And where you have the remote start they can give you problems with it to.
Sometimes they can go bad.
Check the wiring on the remote box which a lot of times is a rats nest.
and make sure the switch has not be switched on it if it has one.
But as said first step is to get the body code to know what direction to go.

525Todd
05-06-2007, 06:45 PM
What exactly is a body code??? I keep hearing this, but have never heard of one before this whole thing. Thanks in advance for all your help.

MT-2500
05-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Body codes is the codes the body PCM puts out.
The body computer controls the anti theft system.
Get a good service manual on the system.

Add your comment to this topic!