Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 lasebre idling poorly

atherts01
05-03-2007, 02:37 PM
I have a 91 buick that when in park it idles poorly. But going down the road seems fine. I put new plugs and wires in it and a new air cleaner . What else can I check?

jconatser
05-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Check all the hoses and tubing connections, especially those in and around the carburetor. On a car that old, if they've never been changed, I'd be about willing to bet one is cracked and leaking somewhere. Sometimes they're not that easy to find just by looking at 'em and feeling of 'em; you have to actually take the tubing off the fitting. In most cases, when you do that, you need to cut the tubing back a half-inch or so before putting it back on the fitting. And then sometimes you need to just go ahead and replace the whole piece of tubing.

Loekee75
05-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Change your fuel filter and PCV valve if you haven't already done so in a while. Are you getting a check engine light? BTW, the '91 is fuel injected and does not have a carb;)

jconatser
05-04-2007, 09:58 AM
...the '91 is fuel injected and does not have a carb;)

:banghead: I know that! :banghead: God, I hate getting old! :frown: Thanks for the correction. :)

To the OP: do what I said, but scratch the word carb.

G3mInI
05-07-2007, 01:50 AM
Just thought I would throw this in. I have the same car, had the same symptom. Did the usual, replaced plugs, air filter, pcv valve. No check engine light ever showed face. Also had alternator issue so replaced that and the battery too. Still, rough idle when stopped or in park.

After living with it for about 5 months, she died while driving down the road. Just simply cut right out and would not restart. Coasted into a Sonic Drive-In. Bit of a struggle with no power steering or power brakes.. :eek:
Ordered the $35.00 combo. $5 for the meal and $30 for the tow.

Fuel pump.

After driving it out of the service garage, the car had more pep than ever before! Idling perfectly now and has been for just under a year now. My guess is that the whole time it was the fuel pump living it's final days until it quit alltogether. Of course the fuel filter gets replaced too, so that may have played a role. Nonetheless, the car runs like it did back in '91 and could not be happier.

Good luck

Add your comment to this topic!