Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

tranny install

olkevinlo
05-03-2007, 04:32 AM
just a question. nothing major. i was wondering if anyone's put in a tranny on their garage floor before and just wanna see if i can get a few tips. but first, i have to say that i don't want to invest money in getting a tranny jack. the was i used to remove a tranny was off a lifted car, with whole person standing underneath and realy tranny jack.

with my car, dropping the tranny was fine. i hooked a few roped and eased it onto an old tire [to cushion if it fell], but getting it up there is a totally different story. lol

yeah u guys can tell me i'm stupid and everything for not wanted into spend the money on a tranny jack, but if i can avoid it, i don't want to go through the hassle. i was thinking i just get a few more hands and it'll be a go.

any suggestions? [yeah i know. pretty retarded question lol]

Hotshot8792
05-03-2007, 07:30 AM
i've seen guys install a tranny with a regular jack, but there were at least 3 of them to balance the transmission in place, plus used some sort of rope or cable to help balance it as well. I have also heard of other people bench pressing the transmission back in.

I invested $100 on a tranny jack from harbor freight, and i've been able to install a tranny quicker by myself than the time i did without one and 3 guys and a jack method.

talskinyguy
05-04-2007, 11:17 AM
When I did the tranny the first time I used a floor jack, when I did it the 2nd time, about 10 min after the first time because I forgot the TOB, I just bench pressed it down and up there. It was much much easier without the jack, but be ready for 100+ lbs and awkward shapes. And use your legs for bracing.

jason_bet
05-04-2007, 11:26 AM
When I did the tranny the first time I used a floor jack, when I did it the 2nd time, about 10 min after the first time because I forgot the TOB, I just bench pressed it down and up there. It was much much easier without the jack, but be ready for 100+ lbs and awkward shapes. And use your legs for bracing.

Yeah tall skiny guy is a joke.. He is freaking huge!! haha jk yeah some times its easyer without the jack but every time i do it I just get pissed off.. and that gives me the strangth to get it up and in..

Linebckr49
05-04-2007, 12:08 PM
if you have a FWD tranny, it only weight about 85 lbs, and can easily be bench-pressed. however, the AWD tranny wieghs quite a bit more at 125-145 lbs, so a tranny jack and/or rope and hoist on top would be very nice. don't try to cut corners when safety is involved. if you don't feel comfortable lifting a heavy weight, invest a little in a tranny jack.

talskinyguy
05-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Im definitely not huge. 6'4" 190ish I can bench right around 120-130 lbs, its pretty pathetic. My goal for the end of summer is to be in the 200-220 range, benching my body weight, and lose this fat Ive gained from drinking.

And the AWD 5 speed tranny is just over 100 lbs(i shipped one in a large box bow with lots of packing and it was 118lbs), its not that bad. I don't know how much the 6 speed weights but it cant be much more.

mitsu3kgt
05-04-2007, 08:17 PM
I used a engine hoist to install my tranny the first time. I put the tranny in place, wrapped 2 chains around it one in the front and the other in the back, and hoisted it up. It was very easy and safe. I had no problems.

Twizted_3KGT
05-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Im definitely not huge. 6'4" 190ish I can bench right around 120-130 lbs, its pretty pathetic. My goal for the end of summer is to be in the 200-220 range, benching my body weight, and lose this fat Ive gained from drinking.

And the AWD 5 speed tranny is just over 100 lbs(i shipped one in a large box bow with lots of packing and it was 118lbs), its not that bad. I don't know how much the 6 speed weights but it cant be much more.

LOL yeah that is pretty freakin girly :p

N/A or 6-Speed AWD I bench press up there...so much easier than a jack... (i'm only 5'7" 155 lbs. but bench ~300 lbs. on average over a given year. (i get lazy some months)). 6-Speed is heavy as hell though, not much room for getting tired..it'll crush ya. N/A I could do 5 sets of 8 reps under there.

talskinyguy
05-05-2007, 02:51 PM
I just set it on my legs and lift it up there with arms and legs, hold it there with my legs while I put the bolts in.

Twizted_3KGT
05-05-2007, 05:53 PM
I just set it on my legs and lift it up there with arms and legs, hold it there with my legs while I put the bolts in.

Yeah I think I got that technique from you the first time I did it...works!

Add your comment to this topic!