'02 GA Dashboard Warping

gold02se
05-02-2007, 12:19 AM
Hi everybody I'm new to the forum but I've been lurking for some time now. I've got a 2002 se and my dash is warping really badly on the drivers side - right up by the windshield it is just peeling back. I didn't really mind at first but now its come up a good 5-6 inches and its getting really annoying while I am driving. How many other people have this problem? any creative ways to fix it without paying the $1800 the dealer wants for a new dashboard? Thanks in advance

crazy Jim
05-02-2007, 09:31 AM
mine has done the same thing in both corners and the center section just cracked out. I just ignore them as it does not affect the performance of the vehicle, it still gets me to work and back....

Jmoney3318
05-02-2007, 11:51 AM
i know a friend who had this happen to him he found a new dash on ebay and only payed i think like 120 with shippin and had the dealership install it for him and it came out lookin nice but his dash was pealed wayyy back it was time for a new one lol but mine warping in the corners as well but i dnt pay any attention to it, as long as its still pushin my ponies i dont care bout loosk =)

gold02se
05-02-2007, 12:29 PM
hey thanks for the advice. I'll have to check on ebay and see if there's anything available - dealer wants $1200 for parts and labor which is more than I'm willing to pay right now. I wish I could just ignore it but I'm the type that gets easily distracted and this thing has come up so high that sometimes I find myself paying more attention to my crappy dashboard than the road lol. so I really need to get it fixed. it seems to be a common problem w/ this model GA

Jmoney3318
05-02-2007, 12:37 PM
yea it is, but damn bro 1200 for doing that i say the hell with it you're better off waiting to find one online and install it urself, i mean i myself tried everything to put down the ends of it but nothin seems to work and i liv ein florida so the sun is just constantly hittin it lol so ill prolly see myself in ur situtation in a couple months hopefully not tho :grinyes:

xeroinfinity
05-02-2007, 12:38 PM
You have any pics of this peeling?

Might be fixable without a new dash.

The possible problem is parking in direct sunlight and the contact cement comes unglued.

My 99's both have a problems with the door vinyl peeling up. :rolleyes:
My GT has a big defect in the middle of the cluster, thats annouying!
Aleos are bad about the dash peeling on the corners too.

Remember to ARmorall the dash more often and keep the front out of direct sunlight :thumbsup:

Edit>>
BTW the dash is a major PITA to replace/remove!

gold02se
05-02-2007, 04:33 PM
hey guys whats up

Ya I live in Tampa Fl so my car gets lots of sun. I bought it a year ago and didn't realize the dash was peeling up b/c the previous owner put some kind of adhesive in there that only held up for about 2 months. Theres no fixing it now that its this bad - so I'm gonna look around for a cheap one online and maybe me and my old man could handle the install. Every time I pass a GA in a parking lot I look in the windshield and almost every one has the peeled up corners. Other than that the car has been trouble free.

xeroinfinity
05-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Florida can get a little hot & sunny :lol:

Also try a salvage yard, might find a garaged wrecked with a good dash.

Good Hunting!

gold02se
05-02-2007, 06:40 PM
hey thanks for the advice xero

Theres a huge auto recycling place in St. petersburg not too far from where I live - I'll check there for some good used parts. I like this place b/c its not a pull your own part type of deal so the cars there aren't trashed. Do you know if the install of a new dash is a ridiculously hard job? I'd imagine it's very time consuming

trickedout9000
05-04-2007, 08:59 PM
I just bought an 03 dash pad for 50 bucks. It is in mint shape. It took me about two hours to uninstall as you have to remove the steering column first but in all honesty it isn't that difficult, it just takes a day and a lot of patience. If you find one from a yard it would be in your best interest to take it out yourself. That way when you start on yours you will already know the do's and don'ts

Good luck

Add your comment to this topic!