Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Great balls of fire...GM radio/cassette problem

ruralways
04-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Hello,

My console in front of my radio became extremely hot to the touch. I discovered it while trying to find a new station in a new area of travel. I could not keep my finger on the button...it was really hot. To be very specific it only involved the flat part of the radio/cassette area(facing you as you sit in the van) and the heat/AC flat part and all the buttons of these 2 areas. The side plastic parts that enclose these areas were not hot.

I found out that my husband closed the vents above this area. Once I opened the vents, the above mentioned area cooled down to normal. Is was very cold and rainy today so I was surprised that the console buttons got sooo hot.

Can this do any damage? Has anyone else had this problem? Do I have to keep the vents open to avoid this from happening ever again? My husband will be very disappointed if he can't keep them closed. Thanks for your response.

GregA
04-30-2007, 11:26 PM
I seem to recall that I noticed something similar on my van.

When I drive around with the lights on AND the dash lights set a FULL brightness, the controls on the radio get pretty hot.

When I turned the dimmer dial so that radio display is very dim, the face plate does not get as hot.

That could be the same thing as your van. Try dimming the dash lights and see what happens.

I don't think the heat should cause any damage.

Take Care,

Add your comment to this topic!