Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine washed, now i got issues. lol

SmoovSol
10-17-2002, 07:35 PM
ok fellas, sohc washed nicely and looks good, one hour after washing I started up the car and it run really crappy. Like it bogs out when takin off in first and if u ever give it full throttle it bogs again and runs shitty. I changed rotor, distributor plugz and filter, to no avail this did nothing. I have checked all sensors and no the check engine light isn't on. I checked all sensors fuses and what not and everything is good. I have come to tha conclusion that I got water in my intake and it bent some of my valves. I now need a good valve kit, or any other ideas u fellas might have. Anyone know of a easy priced valve kit i can get for an ok price. I dont want a high performance one yet cause I am a bit strapped for cash, will d16y7 valves fit on? Les go fellas help the honda, donate a valve....

dutchboy
10-17-2002, 11:30 PM
water wont burn a valve...water will burn off and youll be fine as long as there isnt water in the oil....if there is drain and refill it as soon as possible...other wise running it could cause it to pressurise and blow a rod or kill the engine.

you probably have water in the cap.....make sure its totally dry inside...no water watsoever. and make sure the plug wires are right and that there isnt a shorting wire or plug....make sure the engine is dry around those areas..

if your a carb there could be water in the carb....

let it run for a bit if you havent already ....and see if it clears up...

also check to see if you acidently removed a vacuum line...a vacuum leak will make it run like shit.

SmoovSol
10-17-2002, 11:36 PM
ok i replaced rotor and distributor and sprayed with compressed air, checked all lines and sensors and used compressed air to dry all of it. It's fuel injected, d16y7 sohc vtec. Only thing thats sounds like i didnt check would be water in the oil, but that wouldnt make it run like shit would it? how would water get in the oil?

dutchboy
10-17-2002, 11:46 PM
water in the oil wont make it run like shit unless theres alot...

water can get in through the intake...

check the dipstick for bubles or a noticable line of water on it...

i dont htink this is your case...

try reseting the ecu...mabye it screwed a sensors reading ....or fried a relay..

im not ti sure on the Fuel injection yet....im carbed so i dont do much FI work

just viuaally check everything and let it run a bit and see if it runs itself out...

just make sure theres no water in the oil...

Was the air filter wet.?????

SmoovSol
10-17-2002, 11:49 PM
air filter did get wet, I checked all sensors, resetted ecu, and the check engine light isnt on, not sure if a significant amount of water got in, was a bit stupid of me, the plastic i put over the intake had a hole and i had a high pressure washer. havent checked oil, this was like 3-4 days ago man, since then i have tried to beat THE LIVING shit out of the engine to try todry it with no luck....

dutchboy
10-18-2002, 12:09 AM
that was a mistake...

if you clean an engine with water you have to be carefull...especially with a pressure washer..

theres probably water in somthing that shouldnt have water and its casuing the problems.

if you got access to compressed air....blow everything dry and check all your connections and vacuum llines...and fluids...

water will short out sensors and cause the ecu to mess up...

i dont know what else to look for..unless i could see the engine...
things would be so much easier if they could be looked at and heard first hand...

ill let you know if theres something else to check...but main things are the cap and rotor....vaccuum...and restrictions of some kind...
water will rust anything real quickly...thats why if theres any inside it will quickly have to be flusshed out or it will casue a problem

SmoovSol
10-18-2002, 12:12 AM
everything was dried 2 days ago and this happened 4 days ago, i checked all hoses and connections only thing i can think of is if a sensor got shorted out but wouldnt that send an error message and make the check engine light come on?

dutchboy
10-18-2002, 12:17 AM
it should sent a message...im not sure though...there might be a light that has to blink that is on the ecu itself..

i know that my car does...

if you know were it is then turn the key to on and see if theres a light that blinks anywhere on it..

on the accords its under the drivers seat and then you have to slide the seat forward.. and look from the back under the seat and theres a little piece of plastic that pops out and then you can see the light..

not sure on the newer style cars though..

SmoovSol
10-18-2002, 12:19 AM
i believe mines is on the ecu under the carpeting on the passenger side

hybridsol
10-18-2002, 12:37 AM
ok can you give me all the symptoms? if its bogging its usually spark plugs and wires are fried, if not that you got water in the intake and this is going to be a problem with the rings, White smoke? smoke at all. Symptoms may start a few days after.

SmoovSol
10-18-2002, 12:39 AM
been 4 days and no smoke? was thinking about valves being bent? was gonna check it out tommorow, take the head apart and examine it but dont want to do that if it can be avvoided ya know

SmoovSol
10-19-2002, 02:10 AM
lol, fixed the problem today, was getting ready to take the damn head off and install a set of SS valves i got in a week ago, I checked the wires one more time, and to my luck the wire goin to the 4th cyl spark plug was cracked, there goes 120.00 wires, i put a set of OEM honda wires on now and it runs brand new... yayyyyy meeeeee. lol

hybridsol
10-19-2002, 03:28 AM
told you so......

SmoovSol
10-19-2002, 02:53 PM
righhhttttt

Add your comment to this topic!