Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hard to start

Percon
04-30-2007, 10:47 AM
I have 98 Rodeo LS v6 4x4, 95000ml, every time i first start the engine when its cold it will take 3-5 min. to start all you hear is clik. I just change the battery last month.I thought it was the starter so i full it out and had it check to autozone and they said nothing wrong with the starter. can anyone help me please... :banghead:

surferfletch
04-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Check all of your connections first. If it starts right up when it does start, my money is on the starter. It may still work sometimes, but one of these days it'll leave you by the roadside.

EDIT: I guess it'd leave you in a parking lot or driveway....

surferfletch
04-30-2007, 11:49 AM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t455723.html

Here is my thread from a couple of years ago, when my starter went bad. I didn't realize how closely it matches your symptoms.

Ramblin Fever
04-30-2007, 03:25 PM
My money's on your starter.

When mine started to go, it would start fine sometimes, then 1 out of 3 starts it would click and take several attempts. I ran like this for several months, but there were times I didn't shut it down too, for fear of it not restarting.

Eventually it started taking 7-9 tries to start, finally gave in. I used up it's last bit of life, that's for sure.

Add your comment to this topic!