Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 Buick Park Ave - A/C Water on Floor

mikecee48
04-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Water is puddling on the right side rear passenger foot well. From what I gather, it's A/C condensate water and the evaporator housing drain is plugged. I'm not sure that I have found the drain hole, although I have found about a 2" opening, on the outside of the firewall at the evaporator location, that seems to have a plastic insert and a hole in the middle. I cleared the hole with a rubber tube, but water still ponds in the foot well. And, of course, the Haynes manual has nothing on this.

How do I know if I'm at the drain opening for sure? Is there a photo or drawing somewhere for me to see? Is there a foolproof way of cleaning the opening?

Thanks -
Mike

TopherS
04-30-2007, 12:00 PM
I had a similar problem w/ my 95' Roadmaster (RIP :frown: ).

From what I was told when it was fixed, the opening on the firewall has a small tube that attaches to it on the outside. This tube is a 90-degree elbow that comes out horizontally from the firewall and makes the 90-degree turn straight down.

Without the tube, the water that would drain would be blown backward into the passenger cabin (overflowing the pan that catches/drains the condensed water) as you drive. With my Roadmaster, I had somehow lost that tube and having it replaced stopped the water from coming inside.

I don't know if the Park Ave has the same set-up, but it may be something to look at. Hope this helps. :cheers:

mikecee48
04-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks TopherS - I appreciate the suggestion.

It would seem like it should have a cover or tube like that as the wind would appear likely to do as you say. If so, it sounds like all I need to do is get that part from the dealer and install it. My next step may very well be at the parts department inquiring about such. I'm hoping for another reply or two that can also give me more clues as to what to do. I've cleared these drain lines before when they were simple tubes and this episode is very baffling - what happened to simplicity? Regardless, I say "hats off" to the folks who made and maintain this forum, a fine source of sorely needed help to us car DIYers!

Mike

LotuS87
05-01-2007, 12:56 PM
my PA had same problem. I stabbed the drain hole with a screw driver and all kinds of gunk came out, then i put shop vac to it and sucked it out

Add your comment to this topic!