Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What Is Valve Adjustment For?

DOHCGSR
09-10-2001, 11:32 AM
What Is Valve Adjustment For ? what does it do? is it good for my car? Because I just got my valves adjusted done by Acura, on my 96 GSR at 45,000 miles because I was getting my JDM Type R valve cover put on at the time, and I might as well get my valve adjustment all at the same time. So What Is Valve Adjustment For ? :o

JD@af
09-10-2001, 05:35 PM
In general, one gets their valves adjusted if they are having valve problems, like their valves "tapping" (i.e. tapping the piston domes). This is an example of valve timing needing to be adjusted slightly so that the piston is not at the same location as a valve when it is open.

Darkwing
09-10-2001, 08:03 PM
I just had this done aswell. Should improve performance if you really needed it. (ps-testing avatar)

Darkwing
09-10-2001, 08:05 PM
testing again...

Darkwing
09-10-2001, 08:15 PM
ha! ok got it now:)

neouser
09-11-2001, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by JD@af
In general, one gets their valves adjusted if they are having valve problems, like their valves "tapping" (i.e. tapping the piston domes). This is an example of valve timing needing to be adjusted slightly so that the piston is not at the same location as a valve when it is open.

I was under the impression that a valve adjustment was to adjust the gap between the valve and rocker arm (aka lash), mainly impacting the lift and duration just slightly, and done primarily when the car has regrinds or the valvetrain has been overly strained and premature wear is evident? Am I getting my terms mixed up?

Sup JD. :D

JD@af
09-11-2001, 10:49 PM
You fix your SHO signature yet? ;)

neouser
09-12-2001, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by JD@af
You fix your SHO signature yet? ;)

Go check for yourself... :D

Add your comment to this topic!