Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

CB Radio Installation

Jammer3285
04-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Quick question: I've got a couple of long roadtrips coming up and want to install a Cobra CB. What is the best way to hook it up to the vehicle's power system. Mounting it and the antenna seems pretty cut and dry, but with the fusebox in the engine area, what is the best way to hook up vehicle power?

Thanks in advance!

Doug

gmpartsman
04-30-2007, 12:05 AM
There are several ways to do it safely and without damaging any existing electronics. Do you want the CB to have power with the ignition off, or would you like to switch off with the ignition?

To have constant power, simply tap into the power line of your accessory plug or cig lighter. This is a simple operation, just don't forget to switch off the CB unit to save your battery.

To have the CB switch on/off with the ignition, just tap into the main ignition power wire that powers your radio. I did with my XM radio, and it works great. you can tap directly into the wire, or, I actually wired an accessory power plug into mine, and routed it behind the dash, where I could plug the XM directly into it ( this was neccesary because the XM radio runs on 5 volts, and the step-down resistor or whatever is in the plug). Either way, I would suggest a fuse somewhere in the line to prevent damage if there is ever a short.

Hope this was helpful!

SATJRRY
07-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Im kinda new at this but i was hoping you could help me, how do I know whic cable goes to the stereo? do I have to disassemble the dashboard? how do I do it?

Thanx a bunch

Add your comment to this topic!