Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

GSL Model Car Contest

skeck
04-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Anyone from Phoenix/Tucson driving the Salt Lake City?

Please contact me
623-266-9889
stevenkeck@cox.net

mike@af
04-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Hey, it's Steve Keck! Welcome aboard!

eruff007
04-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Wow a model show in my hometown, never knew such things could happen in a boring Place like Salt Lake City ;) anyone have any details can anyone get in to see?

ddtham
04-30-2007, 12:50 AM
Here is the link:

http://www.gslchampionship.org/Details/details.html

I really want to be there (I'm in SLC too btw), but I've got to attend my commencement/convocation on the 4th. Let me know if you guys will be there.

rsxse240
04-30-2007, 12:08 PM
GSL nats are a big thing. they generally get lots of coverage from the model magazines. I wish I could afford to go from Oklahoma.

lumpulus
05-01-2007, 09:30 AM
GSL nats are a big thing. they generally get lots of coverage from the model magazines. I wish I could afford to go from Oklahoma.

Really? First I heard of it. Probably big in the west.

Just looked at the website....sounds allot like the NNL in the East.

agamo
05-01-2007, 09:49 AM
But the NNL is just a show not a contest by all means, with just a few trophies (Judges, & people's choices, etc) isn't it?

hirofkd
05-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Although I never had a chance to attend it, I've known GSL Championship since 1991, and the contest's been around much longer. I always thought that it's the place where the best of the best compete.

gtipwr
05-01-2007, 03:56 PM
I will be attending with my boss as we will be shooting video during the entire contest. This will be my second GSL I went to XIX this is my boss' 4th trip. It is not simply a contest but more like a convention. They have seminars from the best of the best in the hobby, tours of the model car museum, an auction, and an open floor discussion about the hobby. It's a four day modeling extravaganza featuring the best from around the world. It is a hardcore, cut throat contest, where guys spend years building for this one event. I attended NNL East after attending GSL and while the number of kits was much larger the overall experience pales in comparison. If you have the means this should be your modeling mecca. The work that appears here is the stuff that tends to grace the covers of magazines for the year to come. My name is Alex and I'm with space city films. Look for me next to the bright lights and come say hello. My boss is the guy who writes the high octane column for SAE. See you there.:smokin:

Scale-Master
05-01-2007, 05:28 PM
I'll be there. I hope I get a chance to meet some of the guys who hang out here on AF.
I'll be doing a Seminar Friday morning from 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM too. "Precision Modeling on a Budget: A
Multi-Faceted Question and Answer Interactive Discussion. By Mark D. Jones"
It will be in the Weights and Measures and Harvest rooms. Anyone who does make it, please, introduce yourself... - Mark

FilmMkr
05-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Hey, its my lookalike brother Steve Keck! Well, at least that's what everyone at GSL sez . . . :iceslolan

And of course, the estimable Mister Jones. (Dude, I need to set up an on-camera interview with you on Saturday - we will have our production set in Rap O' The Gavel, between the display rooms and the area where the seminars are.)

To echo Alex's thoughts, if you've not been to GSL and you are anywhere in the area, find some way to get there. The show runs Thursday May 3 through the awards brunch on Sunday the 6th. The best model viewing days are Friday and Saturday (the 4th and 5th), with Saturday the absolute best.

This is the cream of the crop, my friends, the best of the best. Winning at GSL is an incredible accomplishment, and taking Best in Show at GSL is the pinnacle of modeling competition. Make no mistake, this is a competition of the highest order and not for the faint of heart. Models here are judged thoroughly and completely, and the rules are very stingent. This is not a touchy-feely model show by any stretch of the imagination, but the craftsmanship on display is unparalleled.

Expect to see completely scratchbuilt masterpieces with fully functioning parts - power windows and door locks, machined cams that pump the pistons and turn the driveshaft and rear wheels, hand-formed aluminum bodies, customs, street machines and vehicles worthy of the Smithsonian. They're all here, crafted by some of the world's finest - and most famous - automotive modelers. (If I were a betting man, I'd put a C-note on seeing Mark's Caterham for the first time at this event.) Its kinda like an NBA All-Star game and the Super Bowl all rolled into one. If you dig model cars, GSL is the place to be. And it only comes around every two years.

As Alex mentioned, my production company will be on location all weekend. We are producing a feature length documentary about the world of high-end competitive modeling, shot and mastered in High Definition. If you are on location at the show, come say hello. Who knows, you may end up in a feature film! The Gavel room will be closed to the public while we shoot interviews on Saturday, but we will have a media center set up next to Scale Auto in the main contest room, so stop by and visit us there!

I will also be covering the contest for the magazine and writing about it in my column in Scale Auto. We look forward to seeing all of our old friends and, hopefully, some new ones!

Marc Havican

Scale-Master
05-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Hmmm, You and Steve looking alike? I don't see it, at least not from the last time I saw you. Did you shave your head?

Looking forward to seeing you again Marc, if I can recognize you... - Mark

Porsnatic
05-01-2007, 07:41 PM
I'll be there again!, all the way from Puerto Rico!

Simon Rivera

agamo
05-02-2007, 08:44 AM
WOW!!! This event looks so PROMISING!

I’ll see you guys there!!

Add your comment to this topic!