Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I need a new car, fast with decent gas mileage

Xalis
04-29-2007, 12:54 PM
I need something that will get decent gas mileage on the highway 27-30+ mpg city as long as it gets 16-20 city thats cool with me. I want something quick. I was thinking along the lines of subaru impreze turbo. If im gettin a small car im lookin for around 180-200 hp/tq and a bigger car like a cadillac im lookin for 280-300 hp/tq. Im open to suggestions. Im willing to spend 8000 on it. And if anyone knows of somethin i could get for like 5000 and spend 3 to put a turbo in it that would work too.

PlayStation3
04-29-2007, 01:15 PM
how old of a car are you willing to go

Xalis
04-29-2007, 01:33 PM
how old of a car are you willing to go

id like to stay around 2000. Im in Johnstown pa so im not sure Im gonna find a nice older car 93-98. Im very flexable but i need something that wont break down like my piece of shit sunfire. Something fun to drive too.

PlayStation3
04-29-2007, 01:36 PM
i doubt you will find a turbo imprza for 8k. maybe a celica gt-s or a civic si

sickcallawayc12
04-29-2007, 01:39 PM
If you're really concerned about fuel mileage then definitely stick to smaller cars, don't get a big car.

Subarus are nice because the models are interchangeable for the most part, as in you could drop a WRX engine in like a 95 impreza or something w/out much issue. You could turbo an Impreza but the best way and more reliable way to go is to drop in a WRX engine since it's already turboed and has stronger internals than a NA Subaru engine. Subarus won't get AS good mileage you'd typically see in a compact, i'd guess around 25-28 on highway, 19-21 city. Check out the stickies in the Impreza forum to see what's involved/required in a swap.

Could also consider a lil old CRX or an Si, but you'd have to add boost to make it really fast.

Xalis
04-29-2007, 01:41 PM
i doubt you will find a turbo imprza for 8k. maybe a celica gt-s or a civic si

Well i guess the car doesnt have to be turbo, i want a car that will go when i hit the gas. I really just want something with decent gas mileage and speed. Like i drove a 1.8 liter suzuki or subaru or somthing at work and it was quick as hell. I dont remember what car it was. I just need a car that will take 2-4 people not struggle, get decent gas mileage and be fun to drive and wont break lol.

sickcallawayc12
04-29-2007, 01:41 PM
id like to stay around 2000. Im in Johnstown pa so im not sure Im gonna find a nice older car 93-98. Im very flexable but i need something that wont break down like my piece of shit sunfire. Something fun to drive too.
Just about any Subaru or Civic will last a long time, whether it's a 2001 or a 1981 model.:wink:

Xalis
04-29-2007, 01:43 PM
If you're really concerned about fuel mileage then definitely stick to smaller cars, don't get a big car.

Subarus are nice because the models are interchangeable for the most part, as in you could drop a WRX engine in like a 95 impreza or something w/out much issue. You could turbo an Impreza but the best way and more reliable way to go is to drop in a WRX engine since it's already turboed and has stronger internals than a NA Subaru engine. Subarus won't get AS good mileage you'd typically see in a compact, i'd guess around 25-28 on highway, 19-21 city. Check out the stickies in the Impreza forum to see what's involved/required in a swap.

Could also consider a lil old CRX or an Si, but you'd have to add boost to make it really fast.

My friend can do engine swaps but id like to just get a nice working car, thats quick and not have to do work on it lol. Im not gonna be racing in the car really so i dont need a super fast car.

sickcallawayc12
04-29-2007, 01:51 PM
My friend can do engine swaps but id like to just get a nice working car, thats quick and not have to do work on it lol. Im not gonna be racing in the car really so i dont need a super fast car.
I'd definitely look at a Subaru then as they have decent torque for a stock car(good for off the line). You could get in a mid to late 90s Legacy GT/GT Limited for your price, but they aren't "fast" nor are they the best subaru cars to modify to get faster (i.e., boost). However, they are fun to drive nonetheless (like all Subarus) thanks to AWD and upgraded handling components will make it that much better.

Add your comment to this topic!