Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Education on OBD 1 and 2

GT11
04-28-2007, 05:34 AM
I'm looking for a diagnostic tool for my work shop. The so called "code readers". Because my vehicles are sending codes and lighting up certain things on the dash, and I don't have a clue whats going on. I don't have the money for the high end stuff. I don't even know how much these things cost.
Just something to help me find out what code is being flashed and why certain symbols light up on the dash. I did notice there are several models sold in the "Auto stores" but I don't know what I'm looing for.
The devise in question would be needed for the following vehicles;
1. 97 Chevy Blazer,
2. 94 GMC Jimmy,
3. 87 Toyota truck,
4. 95 Buick Roadmaster.

I have allways received lots of good help on this site and any help would be usefull...

Thanks guys

GT

MT-2500
04-28-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm looking for a diagnostic tool for my work shop. The so called "code readers". Because my vehicles are sending codes and lighting up certain things on the dash, and I don't have a clue whats going on. I don't have the money for the high end stuff. I don't even know how much these things cost.
Just something to help me find out what code is being flashed and why certain symbols light up on the dash. I did notice there are several models sold in the "Auto stores" but I don't know what I'm looing for.
The devise in question would be needed for the following vehicles;
1. 97 Chevy Blazer,
2. 94 GMC Jimmy,
3. 87 Toyota truck,
4. 95 Buick Roadmaster.

I have allways received lots of good help on this site and any help would be usefull...

Thanks guys

GT

You may have a problem on the Jimmy and Roadmaster.
Gm 94 and 95 were change over years from OBD1 to OBD11
Sorta half and half on some of them.:grinyes:
If the diagnostic connector does not have a OBD1 plug with pin A and B adapter it.
Requires a special scanner to read data or get codes.
The Toyota you can jumper diagnostic connector and read codes with a old analog volt/ohm meter or check engine light.
The 97 Blazer any OBD11 code reader or scanner will read codes.

Here is a link that shows how to read codes and good info on trouble codes.
In the upper right hand corner there is a trouble code button.
Click on it and your model for information on it.
http://www.batauto.com/Forums/
Good luck MT

Add your comment to this topic!