Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 Sonoma 2.5 fuel pump, no power

tomfree99
04-27-2007, 09:44 PM
My 91 GMC Sonoma w/2.5 quit. Replaced fuel pump but pump does not get volts to run it. Pump Will run if straight wired. Is my oil pressure sensor down by distributor bad, causing a lack of power to pump? Distributor module replaced also, checked fuel relay by putting on another truck, it works.

DelCoch
04-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Check the fuses on each side with a test light, rather than just looking at them. When you straight wired it, did you supply a ground or use the ground it already had?

tomfree99
04-28-2007, 06:52 AM
I wired pump to 12 volts with it out of tank just to see if it would run. It did. Which fuses control power to fuel pump anyhow ? Is there a fuse or fusable link in the engine compartment ?

MT-2500
04-28-2007, 09:38 AM
Check EMC-B fuse.
At Fuel pump relay check for power to it on orange wire.
The power to fuel pump is tan/white wire from relay and also there should be a single tan/white fuel pump primer/power test wire with a plastic connector on end.
Check it for power to fuel pump or jumper it with a 12 volt fused wire to test fuel pump.
But also check for fuel pump ground wire ground.
But the fuel pump only gets power when cranking or engine running or the key on fuel pump prime cycle when key is first flipped on.

tomfree99
04-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks.ECMB fuse was blown. Had to remove to verify, could not tell simply by looking. Man, after a new fuel pump and dist electronic control unit, I hope that was not the culprit all along,( but truck runs like new). If so, a lesson well learned about my truck. Thanks.

MT-2500
04-28-2007, 02:32 PM
You are welcome.
Glad you found it.
And thanks for posting back.
If it had a lot of miles it may have been time for a new fuel pump anyway.
Or you may have popped the fuse putting in the fuel pump or old fuel pump could over loaded and popped it to.
I think that fuse powers several other thing to.
Good Luck
MT

tomfree99
04-28-2007, 04:16 PM
Yea, probably needed a new pump. Has never been changed.

Add your comment to this topic!