Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Jimmy making gurgling noise - air in fuel line?

mwaldrp
04-27-2007, 09:28 PM
My 1997 Jimmy recently developed a gurgling noise when accelerating from a stop and when at low speeds. In the past few days, the problem has progressed to occuring during idle and has grown louder. My theory is that I am somehow getting air in my fuel supply line but a friend suggested it might be the fuel pump. Has any one experienced this before?

jammyjim
04-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Where does the noise seem to be coming from? Can you hear it more from under the hood, the floor boards, or from the rear end? Is it louder with the windows down? It could be lots of things, like exhaust.

MT-2500
04-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Are you sure it is the fuel pump?
Could it be in the AC/heater core and eveporator system?

DelCoch
04-28-2007, 03:27 PM
I seriously doubt you've got air in the fuel supply line or the problem is with the fuel pump. I would rather think the problem is as MT suggested.

Are you low on coolant or been loosing any lately?

mwaldrp
04-28-2007, 03:53 PM
The sound seems to be coming from under the floor boards between the front passenger's and driver's seats. I can't hear it at all with the windows down and used to have to listen hard for it with them up. Recently though its been getting louder. Does that help?

mwaldrp
04-28-2007, 03:57 PM
I've had coolant problems before and had the compressor replaced. I didn't notice this noise at that time but it could certainly be a different problem this time around. I have not yet checked my coolant level because that didn't occur to me. I hear the noise whether the AC is running or not though. I hear the sound right after start up and when accelerating from a stop only. How can I check to see if it is in the AC/heater core evaporator system?

old_master
04-28-2007, 04:22 PM
The fuel system will bleed itself if you run low or out of fuel. Unless you have your hearing aid turned all the way up, you won’t hear the A/C refrigerant pressure equalizing. Most likely there is air in the cooling system. If the gurgling noise just started, there’s probably a leak in the cooling system. Pressurizing the cooling system will help locate the leak. There is a good "How to" thread in the beginning of the Blazer forum that explains how to bleed air from the cooling system.

jammyjim
04-28-2007, 04:53 PM
I agree. Sounds like a cooling system problem.

Chris Stewart
04-29-2007, 06:48 PM
I fixed my gurgle with a new radiator cap.

ericn1300
04-29-2007, 07:46 PM
I fixed my gurgle with a new radiator cap.

good call Chris, any time you have cooling system problems change the termo and the radiator cap at the same time. only costs about $10 and takes maybe 15 mins.

but wait, weren't you the one that recommended cleaning a $6 radiator cap rather than splurging and actualy buying a new one?

Chris Stewart
04-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Well you know I can't squander my wages on non-performance parts I don't need...washing out the old one doesn't cost much but lately, more often than not, washing doesn't help...gotta buy one for the GP too.

mwaldrp
05-01-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the help

Add your comment to this topic!