Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 windstar 3.8 tranny issues - again

snotblog
04-27-2007, 02:15 PM
my car stutters when it starts in drive and there is definate slippage in the lower gears. I've dumped a bottle of lucas treatment in there but it still seems to be there. any ideas?
also, just a question 'cuz I am curious....there is a cable under the hood whaich I assume is the throttle cable because if I pull it when it's running the engine revs. there is a 2nd one beside it - it's kinda slack and I don't know what IT does. can you guys tell me?

phil-l
04-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Regarding tranny: I'll ask the obvious: Is the fluid level correct? Has the fluid been changed regularly?

Regarding the other cable: It's for the cruise control (the second cable moves the throttle to the position required to maintain speed).

snotblog
04-28-2007, 04:59 AM
thanks. yes it has been changed reguarily. car has 16000 kms on it. any ideas would be appreciated. Regarding tranny: I'll ask the obvious: Is the fluid level correct? Has the fluid been changed regularly?

Regarding the other cable: It's for the cruise control (the second cable moves the throttle to the position required to maintain speed).

AvalonJohn
05-01-2007, 08:35 AM
Lately, (sometimes) my car shutters when I accelerate. There is no slipage and trans feels fine (replaced at 65K). Now have 113 K on 99 Windstar. Anyone know what the problem may be ? Looked at Haynes manual under "Troubleshooting" and it said something about inner CV joints. Also said on 99's they can't be serviced. Does this mean that they will just have to be replaced ? How much should I expect to pay for all this, and what else should I do while they have all this apart ?

Thanks,

AvalonJohn

snotblog
06-15-2007, 04:07 PM
I've taken your advice and replaced all the 15 or so litres of fluid as well as the filter and cleaned the magnet. still got the same trouble. any ideas are welcome

DRW1000
06-15-2007, 06:42 PM
thanks. yes it has been changed reguarily. car has 16000 kms on it. any ideas would be appreciated.

160 000 KM ??? Right???

DId you change the filter? I am having problems with a 99 too. I have 200 000KM. Mine has improved a lot since I changed the filter. I am going to throw in a bottle of Lucas as well this weekend. I tried a bottle a month ago when I changed about 6 litres but I didn't change the filter then. I changed the fluid and filter last weekend and it has improved a great deal. Probably close to 70% total fluid exchanged between the 2 times and a new filter. It seems to be getting better every day. I was reading the additives at Canadian tire looking for something that might swell the internal seals a bit. I didn't really see anything that claimed that it did. (Didn't have my glasses either so I couldn't read them all) I bought Lucas because I am hoping to get what I pay for.

I am slowly accepting the fact that the transmission may be on borrowed time. I am just prolonging the inevitable.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Does your OD light ever come on flashing?
Any gear change harshness?
You did use Mercon V fluid too I assume.

RexNfx400
06-22-2007, 07:04 PM
I've taken your advice and replaced all the 15 or so litres of fluid as well as the filter and cleaned the magnet. still got the same trouble. any ideas are welcome

I would, or have some one, pull the low/2nd servo piston and check it for a broken E-clip that holds the shaft to the piston.

Add your comment to this topic!