Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rodeo wont start- many probs.

bigt61
04-26-2007, 06:30 PM
1998 isuzu rodeo. 127k miles

just replaced head gasket.

started car, it ran fine for about 30 seconds then shut off. no fuel pressure at rail.

I replaced fuel filter as it looked original.

engine started once again, then stopped after 10 seconds. fuel pump would not come off or on. checked all fuel pump relays and such, nothing.

got a new fuel pump from parts store, fuel pressure and everything is okay.

I go to start the car, and it starts then runs rough, backfires once, and shuts off after about 5 seconds.

I break everything open to check the timing. look slike it MAY have been off a tooth or two.... so, I re-do and double check the timing. I get the timing set, and off I go.

I cant get the vehicle started anymore.

I dont think I have any bent valves or anything. I have a compression test gauge and want to do a compression test, but do not know how.

should i leave all the sparkplugs in except the cylinder i am working on, or should i unscrew them all out?

Do you guys htink i bent the valves by possibly having the timing out?

if the valves arent bent and copression is good, what else should i check? i have good battery and everything.... fuel pump works and pressure is good.......

have a generic OBD scanner, no codes showing.....

maybe i am losing Crankshaft position sensor? i see a little black sensor about the size of a quarter on the left engine head that is right below the intake throttle body that has a skinny wire plug thats about 2 inches long.... and it looks like the wiring is exposed,bent,cracked where it goes into the sensor........ it screws into the front upper side of the engine head where the valve cover is.

any thoughts or suggestions? i am getting frustrated.

i have fuel, proper power, but no starting.

thanks.

amigo-2k
04-26-2007, 07:38 PM
No worries on the valves, you didn't bend them. It is a non-interference engine.

check out this link and see if it helps:

http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/timeingbelt.pdf

bigt61
04-26-2007, 08:46 PM
It is a non interference engine in the Rodeo? How is that so? I thought that every engine that has a timing belt is interference.

Everything that I read in the online mitchell 1 manual says it is interference, as well as the local shops that I called.

Is a Honda Passport an interference engine or not? I have heard that they have different engines in them than in the Rodeo's.

Any suggestions as to why it wont start? I'm sure the timing is correct.

amigo-2k
04-26-2007, 09:54 PM
It has been confirmed by a few isuzu techs (one that took a belt off and spun the engine). And other folks that have busted belts and replace with new with no issues and I can remember one guy that had one side 180 out at ran the engine, corrected it and had no issues.

bigt61
04-26-2007, 10:06 PM
It has been confirmed by a few isuzu techs (one that took a belt off and spun the engine). And other folks that have busted belts and replace with new with no issues and I can remember one guy that had one side 180 out at ran the engine, corrected it and had no issues.

How would I do a compression test? With all the spark plugs in except the one that I am testing and turning the engine over with throttle wide open?

Any suggestions as to why it wont start?

Ramblin Fever
04-26-2007, 10:43 PM
The engines in the Honda Passports ARE Isuzu engines, the 3.2L V6 that is. The Honda Passport IS an Isuzu Rodeo 100%, with the exception of additional upgrades.

Honda didn't have an SUV that was hitting market, so they bought into the Rodeo's and rebadged them.

Add your comment to this topic!