2000 Grand Prix GT with key stuck in the ignition

Cannon84
04-25-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm having problems getting my key out of the ignition. I went to my local dealer and one of the representitives told me that it was the "bittsy" that had gone bad in the shifter. I know that isn't the correct name for the part because he figured that he could get me to spend the $500 plus that he quoted me. I did in fact get on this site and ordered the GM part that was recommended to stop the problem. I intalled it into the steering column but, I'm still having the same problem. I know there is a black switch on the base of the shifter, which is the only electrical part in the console. Can anyone give me further advice on what is causing this problem? Thank in advance for any help.

richtazz
04-26-2007, 06:14 AM
The "Bittsy" as he called it is the BTSI (Brake Transmission Shift Interlock) solenoid. It basically will not allow the shifter to be moved from park without having your foot on the brake, and it won't allow the key to be removed with the car in gear. From GM, it is only available as part of the entire shifter assembly (if you have the floor shift). It is available separately if you have the column shifter. If you have the floor shifter, it's possible it's gunked up with spilled coffee and soda, so you could try cleaning it. Also, this problem starts to crop up if there is a voltage problem (dirty battery cables, low battery, ignition switch contacts arcing, etc....).

Cannon84
04-26-2007, 08:50 PM
The "Bittsy" as he called it is the BTSI (Brake Transmission Shift Interlock) solenoid. It basically will not allow the shifter to be moved from park without having your foot on the brake, and it won't allow the key to be removed with the car in gear. From GM, it is only available as part of the entire shifter assembly (if you have the floor shift). It is available separately if you have the column shifter. If you have the floor shifter, it's possible it's gunked up with spilled coffee and soda, so you could try cleaning it. Also, this problem starts to crop up if there is a voltage problem (dirty battery cables, low battery, ignition switch contacts arcing, etc....).

Thanks for the info. By any chance you have the part number? I order the part for the steering column from gmpartsdirect.com. I will check all the other areas that you mentioned to include all wires. Once again thank you.

richtazz
04-27-2007, 06:02 AM
In your thread title, you show the car is a GT, so you have the floor shift ( I added the column shift info to my original post for any SE owners reading this thread). The only way to get a new BTSI for it from GM is to replace the entire shifter assembly, which are big $$$. Try checking the battery cables and have the battery tested first, maybe you can save yourself a lot of cash.

Cannon84
04-27-2007, 07:53 PM
richtazz, thanks for the tips. I took the console out and cleaned the area around the BSTI also, I cleaned the battery connections really well. No luck, the key continues to stick in the ignition. I called my friendly dealer on the East Coast and he gave me the part number for the floor shifter assembly. It's almost time for me to throw in the towel. I'll order the part myself because I found it new cheaper than the dealer however, I will let the dealer complete the installation. Because this item is dealing with the transmission I better let the dealer do the work. I'll post the final cost and results of the change. Thanks for everything.

GTP420
05-07-2007, 01:07 PM
My key hasn't come out of my GTP since I bought the thing... I just hit the little release under the stearing column. It's turned into habit now, no big deal anymore...

The Tim
12-11-2008, 11:14 PM
I also have the same problem with my 2004 Grand Prix. I have now spent a total of $1000.00 trying to get to the bottom of this problem but still no luck. The ignition barrel has been replaced and the floor shifting mechanism has been replaced. I drove it home tonight and the key is still stuck. The car shuts off but the key does not turn fully to the ccw position. I have tried slaming the shifter into park, starting the car and moving it and then placing in park again, and disconnecting the battery. I have also checked the transmission solenoid fuse.

To top it off, I also pulled the ignition relay and reinstalled it and now the car will not start at all unless I use my command start, (dies when I hit the brake).

I have read on a few forums that there is a key release. Does anyone know where I could find it on the floor shifter model? Picture would be helpful.

I am getting desperate here.

Thanks in advance.

BNaylor
12-11-2008, 11:55 PM
I also have the same problem with my 2004 Grand Prix. I have now spent a total of $1000.00 trying to get to the bottom of this problem but still no luck. The ignition barrel has been replaced and the floor shifting mechanism has been replaced. I drove it home tonight and the key is still stuck. The car shuts off but the key does not turn fully to the ccw position. I have tried slaming the shifter into park, starting the car and moving it and then placing in park again, and disconnecting the battery. I have also checked the transmission solenoid fuse.

To top it off, I also pulled the ignition relay and reinstalled it and now the car will not start at all unless I use my command start, (dies when I hit the brake).

I have read on a few forums that there is a key release. Does anyone know where I could find it on the floor shifter model? Picture would be helpful.

I am getting desperate here.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to AF.

Sorry but please start a new post/thread addressing your issue following our guidelines below. Also, we prefer not mixing issues with '97-'03 and '04 and up GP models. This thread has been closed.

Old Thread Guidelines (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=889742)

Add your comment to this topic!