97 Dodge Stratus Runs Great But Engine smokes

jsoarch1
04-25-2007, 12:27 PM
I have a 97 Stratus that runs great. However, it has been 8 months since I noticed smoke or steam coming out of the hood after driving it. The steam or smoke just comes out of the entire engine. It disappears after a few minutes
The car does not overheat and I always check the engine oil.
I probably add maybe 1/2 a quart a month at the most.
The car has 175,000 miles and I drive the car about 70 miles a day.
What is causing or the source of the smoke/steam?

kingofclueless
04-30-2007, 08:23 PM
many things can cause an engine to smoke but if its a light white soft smoke maybe some oil spilled on something that gets hot like a piece of the exhaust just did that to my car and didnt stop smoking for about 3 days so i had to wipe clean where it was smoking and put on some degreaser

Tdanger
07-19-2007, 10:40 PM
2.0, 2.4,2.5? commonly the 2.0's had some head gasket issues usually external leak but have seen some internals. how's the antifreeze level? With that mileage may just be hard valve seals. If coolant stays full, I've had really good luck on engine I service with high mileage running valvoline max life oil. won't see an instant change but give it 2-3 2000-2500 mile oil changes this does help out. Unless u see coolant loss then well...

TheDrave
07-22-2007, 01:38 PM
I had a similar problem. Only the smoke was a bit more of a problem then what you are describing. What king said sounds like what is most likely the problem, if it gets to be that much of a burden consider changing the valve cover gasket, it will take about 15 minutes to take off just make sure you use some real quality grease when you go to put the new one on. And from my experience cleanness goes a long way. So just wipe off all the old oil and grease around the edges of the cover.

AZeline
08-11-2007, 01:14 AM
I have to agree w/ these folks here. I had a 97 Neon brand new w/ a 2.0 engine, and my head gasket leaked like a mofo. Every 30K miles it had to be replaced. Check the color of the smoke. If it's kinda grey/blue, then it's probably oil. It might be leaking onto the exhaust manifold. If you think it's still somewhat water resistant, take it to a self serve car wash and degrease the you know what out of it. Then check it everyday till you see something definitive. Could be either the head gasket, or the valve cover. But you have to track it down to be sure.

dsramprat
08-11-2007, 09:59 AM
I have a 1997 Stratus with the 2.4. I had the same problem, and what it turned out to be was a pinhole leak in the High Pressure Power Steering Hose. The hose is routed directly over the top of the exhaust manifold. If you have the 2.0, the hose is in the same place. I received a recall for my 2000 Stratus for that same reason, but not for my 1997. If it is the power steering leaking onto the exhaust, you need to fix it soon because power steering fluid IS flammable, and it creates a fire hazzard.

jlsumme
02-15-2009, 11:21 PM
I own a 2000 Status with the smoke problem. I did not get a recall, maybe because I bought the car used. Only smoke coming out while stopped coming from hose that is hard to repair but can reach just under the hood flange/lip and above the valve cover.I can feel the hose that is leaking, it has a fitted/compressed joint. May be a factory replacement.It may be the steering hose.Scheduled for inspection tomorrow. By the way this car has been a great driver with the only problem being a warped brake rotor and pads that squealed like crazy until I replaced both myself.

dsramprat
02-16-2009, 10:12 PM
jlsumme, that is the high pressure power steering hose you are feeling. Call your local dealer and give them your VIN number to see if your car falls under the recall. My '97 didn't due to the age and they figure I probably had changed the hose by then.

wharv
02-17-2009, 07:41 PM
I own a 2000 dodge stratus 2.4, over the weekend to visit my son at virginia tech and noticed a lot of smoke coming from under the hood, after some investigation I felt like it was the valve cover gasket, after replacing still had smoke. I finially got a light and with a mirror could see the power steering hose leak, it was right at the cpuoling between the steel and rubber, this was dripping onto the manifold.
Looks like a tough job to get to to replace.

jlsumme
02-18-2009, 08:01 PM
ok guys, I took the 2000 Stratus in Tuesday and it was fixed Wednesday afternoon.The dealership did replace the high pressure steering hose under warranty but also noticed a tranny leak caused by the solenoid pack.I was not surprised by the transmission leak because when I had the oil changed at wal-mart last month they mentioned it.The tranny leak never left a drop on the ground though which was weird and the trans seemed to work great.The kicker was that my wife drove the car home and called me at work telling me the car was smoking worse than before. I hope it was just spillage from the hose replacement.Cost: Solenoid $213,Labor $176, shop supplies $8.80,tax 13.31. Total $411.11. No charge for the steering hose,labor,fluid.Stay tuned to see if it smokes Thursday!

wharv
02-18-2009, 09:06 PM
i dropped my2000 off at the dealer today, they will look at it tommorow, they said it was fixed in 2006 for the leaking hose, I told them it is leaking and dangerous around the manifold. I will find out tommorow what they say.

jlsumme
02-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Good luck wharv, hopefully they will replace it at no charge. When I got home I started it up and let it idle for about 10 min with no smoke.Wife took it for a spin around the block with no smoke. Hopefully just over spill onto the exhaust pipes which has now burned away.

jlsumme
02-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Well it's still smoking after the $400 bucks! Will have to take back to see what the problem is.

jlsumme
03-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Smoking had stopped but wife could still smell something burning so I dropped it off the other day. Now it needs a new water pump! They said is was going bad and leaking although no overheating was occurring. Another $400 to fix it and timing belt was needing a change which would total about $1000. Well with 128,000 miles and 9 years old, I traded it in for a 2007 Caliber.Now back to paying $216 a month!

andrewbattah
11-22-2009, 06:43 PM
yeah...i just replaced both the valve cover gasket and the pressure hose between the power steering pump and the rack and pinion, the one that runs over the exhaust manifold and my 96 dodge stratus STILL smokes. the oil level is good, coolant level is good, actually all the fluid levels appear fine. i think it may be burning oil because it smells like it, even though i frequently check the oil lever and it's spot on. however i've noticed that the exhaust fumes coming out of the muffler are somewhat blue, indicative of burning oil/fuel, unless i'm mistaken. regardless, i can't figure out how to stop this mystery fluid from getting onto/into my exhaust manifold and causing all this smoke. could it be the head cover gasket? any suggestions as to what this could be because this thing is killing me. :swear:

PLEASE HELP!!!

andrewbattah
11-22-2009, 06:57 PM
yeah...i just replaced both the valve cover gasket and the pressure hose between the power steering pump and the rack and pinion, the one that runs over the exhaust manifold and my 96 dodge stratus STILL smokes. the oil level is good, coolant level is good, actually all the fluid levels appear fine. i think it may be burning oil because it smells like it, even though i frequently check the oil lever and it's spot on. however i've noticed that the exhaust fumes coming out of the muffler are somewhat blue, indicative of burning oil/fuel, unless i'm mistaken. regardless, i can't figure out how to stop this mystery fluid from getting onto/into my exhaust manifold and causing all this smoke. could it be the head cover gasket? any suggestions as to what this could be because this thing is killing me. :swear:

PLEASE HELP!!!

RDizzle109
01-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Quick check for ring condition, take the oil cap off and see if you have alot of blow by puffing out while the engine is running. If there is a lot of smoke coming out of the oil cap could be bad rings.

Add your comment to this topic!