Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

weird whistling noise..

ikeyballz
04-25-2007, 04:47 AM
I have this weird whistleing noise ...sounsd like an intake leak..but theres nothing leakiong..i tried the carb-cleaner trick..i couldnt find a thing. anyone got any clues? sofar i checked the whole intake after the filter to the tb... i touched the tb before..to get to the IAC..anything around there that could cause it?
\
oh, and when my throttle is ~1/4+ open it goes away..

goldz28
04-25-2007, 07:33 AM
Could it be a bearing? Or maybe the lid etc. is not tight and the engine sucking in air is causing a whistling sound, but with more rpms I would think it would get louder. Check the pulleys and see if its coming from there.

I hate those noises that you can't pin point.

ikeyballz
04-25-2007, 02:42 PM
yeah.. so i was thinking, could it be the airfoil? with that little hole drilled in it? cuz at higher throttle, less air through that, right?

goldz28
04-26-2007, 01:59 AM
Can you only hear it when your driving or is the car parked?

wrightz28
04-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Might wanna take the belt of fand check all th pulleys out.

ikeyballz
04-26-2007, 02:04 PM
its on whenever the car is running, and its lower than 1/4th throttle or so..

so belts/pulleys make sense..

ikeyballz
04-27-2007, 02:20 AM
wait i just thgought about it and it DOESNT make sense that its a pulley. cuz.. it doesnt depend on the engine speed at all..only the throttle position i can be going 1Krpm in 5th gear and when i punch it the noise goes away...

or i can be going 4Krpm in 3rd and when i punch it, it goes away.. when im sitting at idle its still there too..

goldz28
04-27-2007, 05:17 AM
Let it idle and check under the hood. Go to a parts store and get one of the car stethoscopes so you can hear around and pin point alil better. This is just plain weird.

wrightz28
04-27-2007, 08:43 AM
wait i just thgought about it and it DOESNT make sense that its a pulley. cuz.. it doesnt depend on the engine speed at all..only the throttle position i can be going 1Krpm in 5th gear and when i punch it the noise goes away...

or i can be going 4Krpm in 3rd and when i punch it, it goes away.. when im sitting at idle its still there too..

well, quit yacking and start sluething. :disappoin

ikeyballz
04-27-2007, 03:52 PM
hahah i tried.. i took apart the front of the tb again.. im gonna go wrench away again this weekend.. but yeah.. school finals coming im getting ownedddd :(

i know its not the intake box and stuff tho.. its somewhere after the MAF, i disconnected everything from the front of the MAF (no airbox, aircleaner, etc) but.. it still made the noise. i checked everything after the MAF to the tb..and its also not the problem

can vaccum hoses make crazy loud noises lkike that too? its really loud, i can hear it over my car speeding on the freeway w. the windows down.

Add your comment to this topic!