Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

lock up, now bad noises

mydelsol
04-25-2007, 12:32 AM
i have a 90 talon tsi awd. i bought it about 2 months ago and im having some problems. it has 187,00 miles on it, but it was runing just fine when i got it. i actually drove it home about 100 miles when i got it with no problems.but about 3 days later after i bought it, i went to drive it and it just wouldnt go. it felt exactly like the e-brake was on. it kinda leaned forward when i gave it gas, then fell back when i left off. it made me upset so i just stepped on the pedal and gave it as much gas as i could to make it go and finally it did. but when it started moving, i heard some really lound noises that sounded terrible. they all came from below the car, sounded like it was from the back, but im not sure. i didnt barely move 20 yards, so i just put it in reverse and put it back where i had it and left it there.

now when i drive it, i hear lound noises that sounds like something it hiting something else really hard. then my brakes locked up on me when i was going 15 mph. and it took a while but i finally got it to go again, its been sitting ever since. i took apart the rear calipers and my friend said the piston wasnt returning all the way and he couldnt force it in. so im replacing those from tomorrow from a 91 gsx i found.

also my ebrake doesnt really engaged untill it is pulled as high as it will go, like beyond how many clicks it should be. any ideas on whats making the noise? or about why my brakes locked up? -sorry bout the long post, wantd to provide enough info-

NOFX0617
04-25-2007, 01:15 AM
So does your engine rev fine? If so it would be a drivetrain problem. So it could be a few things. See if you can have someone stand outside the car and listen for where the noises are coming from for sure. Sometimes it may sound like the back but the problem is in the front.

spyderturbo007
04-25-2007, 07:42 AM
Replace the rear calipers and let us know what happens. It's possible that they are frozen and causing your problems. You can also adjust the ebrake while you are doing the caliper. On my 2g, you have to remove the rear rotor to adjust the ebrake tension. There is a seperate set of pads that run the ebrake on the back side of the rear rotor.

If you take off the rotor, you should see a small star shaped nut between the 2 pads. Adjust that nut until you get the desired tension. You might also need to replace the pads while you are there.

Keep in mind, this for a 2g and your 1g may be different.

mydelsol
04-25-2007, 06:42 PM
my engine revs up just fine. but i havent really got on it at all. but when i drive it normally, it revs fine and i still hear the noises. im going to make an attempt at change the calipers tonite, hopefully i can get some help from my friends. i will get someone to stand out and listen to the car while i drive it. thanks.

mydelsol
04-25-2007, 11:20 PM
well i was able to determine that the ebrake does not work on the left side. i can still turn the axel back and forth a tiny bit when the ebrake is pulled. but when i used the pedal it did prevent it from moving. i adjusted the cable as much as i could, but it still wouldnt engage. my calipers are painted yellow, so someone has messed with them at one time and i just noticed that the lever that the cable pulls was missing the spring that pulls the lever back when the ebrake was removed. it was also missing a nut that was sopose to be there, now the lever moves up and down in the caliper, which i dont think it should cuz my replacements didnt do that. so im just gonna try to replace the left caliper, but my replacement has the piston stuck in the out position, so i have to figure out how to push it back in. i would post pics, but when i do and preview my post, it only shows the red "x".

gthompson97
04-25-2007, 11:33 PM
Host them at www.imageshack.us and use the hotlink for forums one....or whatever it says.

mydelsol
04-26-2007, 10:48 PM
i got the piston to go down in the caliper, i just twisted it and banged on it a bit and it went down. so i put the replacement caliper on the left side and bled the lines and it works perfect, the ebrake and my brake pedal. im gonna put the wheels back on tomorrow and drive it and try to find out exactly where the noise is coming from.

mydelsol
04-28-2007, 07:44 PM
my brakes are fine now. i determined the noise was coming from around the transfer case and transmission. but now i have a worse problem. i was driving it and it was sounding really bad, the noise from around the transfer case and transmission was really lound and high pitched. then all of sudden i couldnt accelerate. i just sorta coasted, so i pulled over and stopped. when i tryied to go, it just makes this rattling sound and doesnt go anywhere. so i had someone pull me home.

Add your comment to this topic!