Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

bumper guards

Darkwing
04-24-2007, 05:54 PM
wow, it's been forever since i've been on this site!

I recently got into a wreck with a large SUV, who thought it would be cool to wait at a stopsign until i was in the intersection and then pull out and form a nice big, black, metal wall across the road. I had no chance of stopping in time and T-boned the sucker, who promptly sped off with a huge dent in the side of his rig. Needless to say the insurance company totalled my 95 civic. However I am a sentimental stubborn bastard and I am repairing the vehicle with the rather ridiculous amount of money my insurance company gave me for the car.

My question to the forum is if anyone knows if there are any kinds of more durable front-end peices such as steel bumpers or brush guards for a honda civic. I know they make these sort of things for police cars; it would be nice to have something like this for my poor honda, which has had its nose repaired 3 times now.

Thank you in advance for any information you may be able to give me.

asaengrit
04-27-2007, 08:04 AM
get it
http://www.getwisely.com/bumper_guards-main.html

up creek no paddle
07-31-2007, 10:56 PM
I've had my 04 Honda for 1 1/2 months and it has already been side swiped by some idiot pulling out of a parking space and also got seriously gouged by what looks like some one swinging open there door. I park near NO ONE, yet this keeps happening. I have gotten 'Liquid Glass' and after I patch it up, I'm going to put some heavy coats on because I think it might protect it. However, I know nothing about cars and tend to make everything I touch much worse. Can someone tell me if this is another one of my stupid ideas beforehand?
Thanks for the link to the bumper website. I'm going to check it out, but I still plan on using this liquid glass in addition unless anyone can warn me in advance. (Please do!)

Greenblurr93
08-01-2007, 09:03 AM
it wont really help, if its gunna dent... its gunna dent... if youre really that worried then park like an ass and take up 2 spots..

up creek no paddle
08-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Then the bastards will key me.... is it fesable to screw small/medium spiked studs onto a bumper shield and install it across the body of the car? Will the cops stop me?

up creek no paddle
08-01-2007, 07:38 PM
I forgot to ask..... I got some 'Custom Chrome' molding at PepBoys and I was thinking about running it around the car, covering the bumpers. Will this help? It's 3M tape, but I'm not sure if it will come off or not. I was thinking about using it for asthetic purposes....what do you think?

Greenblurr93
08-02-2007, 05:52 AM
yes the cops will stop you. dont use "chrome tape" or any other "aftermarket" mod you find at pepboys, autozone etc... they look horrible and wont last. getting your car bumped is just how it is... if you really dont like it then dont drive anywhere and leave your car in a bubble

up creek no paddle
08-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Yeah, I know it's gonna happen. I'm just getting frustrated because it hasn't even been 2 months and already there were 2 incidence (the 1st one was down the entire side of the car). I'll stop my bitchin' now and get over it. Thanks for the heads up on the chrome molding.
As far as the 'Liquid Glass' goes, I know it won't prevent dents but do you think it will help prevent scratches? I'm also worried that it will peel or crack as the years go by...anyone had any experience with this?
I also got 'shade shifter' pinstripes at PepBoys. Is this a bad idea too?

Greenblurr93
08-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Lol... again with the Pep Boys mods... BUT the pinstripes your talking about WILL last as long as you clean the area good, dont look that horrible as some of your other ideas.lol... my advise when you put it on is to use a body line as a ruler so the stripe flows with the curve of the car.

As far as the liquid crap... it wont last unless you scuff up your clear coat so it has something to bite to, it will probably yellow after a short time in the sun, and if you dont scuff up the car it will peel real fast.

up creek no paddle
08-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Sorry I'm clueless but is PepBoys really that bad? Where's a better place to get stuff? The only other car I had was a black 1995 Honda Civic Hatchback, and it was PERFECT. I loved the body, the interior...everything. It needed no enhancements, that is until a teenager driving a brand new Mercedes and yapping on her cell phone, ran a red light and totaled it. I had just put in a new engine too. It was heart breaking (as far as the loss of machinery can break your heart).
Now I have this 2004 Civic 2dr. that I feel is lacking in style and character (I won't go into the reasons I bought it because it's a long story and doesn't matter now anyway). It just feels like it's missing something. So since I have NO idea about cars I find myself perusing the ailes at every commercial store I can find (PepB, AutoZ, Kragn etc.)
Please let me in on the secret of where to go and what to do! and thanks from steering me away from the bad ideas...I have no other point of refference so had it not been for you I'd probably be trying to scrape of the glue stains from molding that won't stick.
One more question, If I do go with the pinstrip, can I wash/wax and detail over it? Will a polish or glaze hurt it?

Greenblurr93
08-04-2007, 12:34 AM
hand wash and wax, a buffer will rip it right off... and as far as you apperance mods your looking for... lower it and put some rims on it.. youll be surprised with how good a car looks with those simple mods... (and handles better too)

up creek no paddle
08-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Thanks so much for taking your time to help me out, I really appreciate it!

up creek no paddle
08-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Damn! I forgot...... one more idea I had is to get a chrome body guard and chrome bumper guards to prevent getting scratched so often and I think it might look good on my black car......I'm definatly getting those rims, more chrome.... What do you think?.....another stupid idea? My car is certified for another 10 months and I have powertrain coverage for the next 60,000 miles. If I lower it will I put this in jepordy? Won't I wreck it going over speed bumps? I'm thinking of going up 2 sizes with the wheels to 16 and I'm also worried that this will void my suspension coverage... any advice?

Greenblurr93
08-04-2007, 10:07 PM
lowering it will void your warrenty, going with bigger rims will also void the coverage you have in case you need a new rim. however once that is up, as long as you dont go TOO low, it will feel a little stiffer, but not harsh and you will be able to still go over speed bumps, my car is tucking all four tires and i havent scraped a speed bump yet.

and i HATE chrome on imports... so im obviously against your idea, but its your car and you are the one who ultimatly decides what looks good on your car.

up creek no paddle
08-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the info about the warranty and your opinion on the chrome. I have a few more things I want to ask you if you get a chance.
On my car there is no trim and you can see the bottom of the car past the side body (see pic’s). Is there trim available? I took some pictures of an older Honda that was parked on the street. This is the ‘trim’ I’m talking about. I don’t know what to call it; trim may not be the right word. I really am this clueless. I’d like to have that if it’s available and I imagine that would be simpler & cheaper than side skirts, but I can’t find it online. The only lip I can find for this year & model is the Kaminari kit, which cost $1000, and all I’m really looking for is the basic Honda trim.
I also don’t like the upward angle on the sides and especially on the bumper. The ass of the car sticks up too much and I’d rather have it more rounded than box like. I like the front bumper. When you say lower the car, does that mean they lower the back to make it even with the front? I don’t think that they can lower the front bumper any more than it already is. I just hate that upward angle. Do you think that side skirts and a new back bumper will fix the problem, or do you think that it will contrast with the front if I leave that alone? I also like how the fenders flare on the older Honda and it’s rounded bumper. Is it possible to get that look? Selling my car or buying a new one is not an option because of reasons I don’t need to go into.

I REALLY appreciate you helping me out. I’m clueless and you are the only advisor I have. Thanks so much!
DAMN! I took some pictures, edited them in photoshop to illustrate what I'm talking about, reduced there size and saved them as JPEGS and now I can't figure out how to attatch them. Can you tell me how so I could show you what I'm talking about? It sucks being an idiot!

Greenblurr93
08-05-2007, 05:48 PM
under the quick reply button click "go advanced" then on the top toolbar there is an icon that looks like a mountain and sun. click it, upload the image and post. ill wait to see pics until i give you my advice

up creek no paddle
08-05-2007, 09:25 PM
/Users/user/Desktop/angles.jpg/Users/user/Desktop/Trim.jpg

up creek no paddle
08-05-2007, 09:26 PM
angles.jpg

up creek no paddle
08-05-2007, 09:32 PM
What I'm getting when I do that is : Please enter the URL http:// .
I've tried dragging the jpegs from the desktop and it appeared as though they were added but it didn't upload the picture. I tried typing in the JPEGS as the URL and that's not working either. I do have a MAC which might not respond the same way that PC's do. What do you think?

Greenblurr93
08-06-2007, 08:21 AM
ok, up top next to the forum button is the gallery button, go there and sign into your name and upload the pics there, then you can use the button i told you about there and post the URL to where you uploaded the pic to, or i believe you can just copy and paste into a reply once its uploaded

up creek no paddle
08-06-2007, 08:50 PM
I can't upload them. I keep getting a page saying that the server can't be found. Damn......I really wanted your help on that one. Do you know of any alternative routes to get the pic's on? If not I understand. Thanks for all your advise and taking time out of your day to help guide the blind.....

Greenblurr93
08-07-2007, 07:54 AM
try uploading them to a different host... like www.we-todd-did-racing.com (http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com)

up creek no paddle
08-07-2007, 02:45 PM
I tried it in every file extension format and in every other way concievable all to no avail. So I went to Craigs list and posted them there. Go to http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ Then type Darkwing in the search box and see if it will take you to the post....Maybe that will work. I think that the problem might have to do with my computer.

Greenblurr93
08-07-2007, 03:58 PM
ok, but in my opinion.. a rounded bumper like that with a more square bumper like your front will clash.. but search online for aftermarket rear bumpers and maybe youll find one you like. but youll need a body shop to mount it and paint it, which can be costly

up creek no paddle
08-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Can you give me a round about idea on how much a typical body shop would charge for a bumper..... I imagine that might be hard to estimate but just somewhere in the ballpark would be helpfull since I have absolutely no idea. Also how does one go about finding a GOOD bodyshop that's not going to rip you off. I've found some in the yellow pages that I know nothing about. I imagine it would help to visit them. I'm worried that they will overcharge me because I'm a girl and I don't know much.

Greenblurr93
08-07-2007, 07:27 PM
well being a certified body tech and former mechanic.. it would probably be your best bet to find one you like and go through a speed shop to purchase and install it, that way, if it doesnt fit right, its their problem and they cany charge you to make it fit. but to install and paint to match JUST a rear bumper.. about 500.. and now that you said you are a girl.. be prepared for all the horny teens going "What do you look like? Ill do it for free!" So dont say i didnt warn you.. hehe

up creek no paddle
08-07-2007, 09:45 PM
What's a speed shop? Do I go to a custom body shop, tell them what I want and have them order it? Do they usually have pictures of the cars they have worked on? I just sold a book for $5,700 and while I should invest all of it, I don't think it would be out of the question to take out a couple thousand.
I'm pretty much a 'tomboy' and on a scale of 1-10 I'd be a 5. Not ugly and not pretty, just plain. However, I clean up well and if I put on some makeup and fix my hair I can move up to an 8.5. If I go to a shop 'fixed-up' will I get a better deal than if I go as my usual self? I hate doing that crap but if it will get me a better deal I'm willing.

Greenblurr93
08-08-2007, 08:06 AM
lol, best response ever... and yes a "speed shop" is a shop that specializes in custom work. I would find a bumper you like and then tell them what it is and let them source it out. And if its a real reputable shop, i shouldnt matter if youre a supermodel (couldnt hurt though), A gear-head, a tranny, or a drag queen.

up creek no paddle
08-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks so much for your help!
When I finally decide what I'm going to do and my car is complete, I'll send you a picture (through Craigs list). I can't tell you how much of a help you have been. Had it not been for you're advise my car would now be a PepBoys disaster complete with peeling chrome and rediculous plastic accents.
THANK YOU!

Greenblurr93
08-08-2007, 04:37 PM
youre welcome, thats why we're here. just please... dont do anything you see them do in that damn movie fast and furious...

up creek no paddle
08-08-2007, 07:14 PM
I've never seen it so if I do it will be out of ignorance.....Thanks for the advice!

Add your comment to this topic!