Power Antenna Plug

vrmlbasic
04-22-2007, 08:44 PM
In a failed attempt to hook up a power antenna I acquired for my ride, I found that the plug is hot with the engine off and the keys out of the ignition.

Is this supposed to be how the system works? Hot at all times, but the antenna will only run once it receives a signal from the head unit (sadly my antenna unit likes to keep running)?

What is the amperage rating on the fuse which allows power to flow to this connector? Since my antenna idea died a quick death, I was thinking of using the plug for other things, such as a remote lighter socket, now that I know it is powered.

I guess I should also ask what else sucks power off of the fuse, so I can sorta estimate how much I have to play with.

ChemMan
04-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Yes, one of the three wires is hot all the time. Another is ground and the third is hot when the radio is on(iirc). The fuse rating is 10 or 20 amps, and is above the passenger side kick panel. The fuse is strictly for the antenna.:sunglasse

vrmlbasic
04-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the info--now I have a way to power all my stuff in the back of my ride without having to string cable or leech off the lights (which would limit when my stuff could be used)

In light of this development, I've decided to scrap my classy power antenna plans and just use the plug for whatever....the best part is since I have access to the "power antenna" line on the radio, I may be able to rig a switch to one of the trunk solenoids I pulled, and get remote trunk with mostly stock wiring.

...and I was ready to start pulling cable under the trim. Good thing I waited :)

Loekee75
04-25-2007, 12:31 AM
"...I may be able to rig a switch to one of the trunk solenoids I pulled, and get remote trunk with mostly stock wiring."

Are you refering to the standard trunk lid release solenoid, or the trunk lid pull down solenoid? I believe the pull-down solenoid needs to run off a relay if I'm not mistaken.

vrmlbasic
04-25-2007, 05:31 PM
I was planning on using the wiring to switch on the power antenna motor to power a trunk release solenoid.

I've never heard of a trunk pull down solenoid......does that mean that buick had a thing where the trunk could power-shut??

Loekee75
04-25-2007, 09:12 PM
I was planning on using the wiring to switch on the power antenna motor to power a trunk release solenoid.

I've never heard of a trunk pull down solenoid......does that mean that buick had a thing where the trunk could power-shut??

Yep, they had optional pull down actuators until '96, I believe. It wasn't a "complete" pull down feature, as you have to manually push the lid down until the actuator contacts the striker... then it does the rest. An accidental slamming of the trunk lid will ruin the actuator.

Add your comment to this topic!