Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

brakes!!!!!!!!!!

coach2122
04-22-2007, 08:13 PM
I installed new brake hoses, pads, calipers and rotors. Everything is back together and without too many problems. Now I bleed the brakes and it takes and hour to get fluid everywhere. I started with the right rear, then left, right front and then left. The fluid reservoir is full but I have NO brakes. Any clues. 1998, 2500, 4WD, Cummins, RWAL. Thank you.

aleekat
04-23-2007, 08:05 PM
I installed new brake hoses, pads, calipers and rotors. Everything is back together and without too many problems. Now I bleed the brakes and it takes and hour to get fluid everywhere. I started with the right rear, then left, right front and then left. The fluid reservoir is full but I have NO brakes. Any clues. 1998, 2500, 4WD, Cummins, RWAL. Thank you.

ABS bleeds differently. Did you use a pressure bleeder?

jrsick
04-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Sounds to me like you have air in your system somewhere. Does your pedal go all the way to the floor when you try to brake, or are your brakes just weak? Was your brake fluid reservoir ever empty while you were bleeding the brakes? I'd rec bleeding them again to make sure you get all of the air out and tighten the bleeder valve nut good when you're done.

mikmic2
07-14-2007, 12:31 AM
I read in my manual that you have to have a drc code reader to run the solenoids or motors or something inside the abs system to properly bleed your brakes.

I tell you, pretty soon they will make it so you have to take it to the dealer to change a flat.

Cheech43
09-01-2008, 05:17 PM
you must start at the front axle and begin with the wheel that is closest to the master cylinder and then work your way back to the farthest wheel

angus10
09-02-2008, 04:29 AM
Just keep bleeding, and for the record you did it right by starting from the farthest wheel away, NOT the closest. And you don't need any special equipment to do it on a 98 RWAL.

Add your comment to this topic!