Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

boost controller help

wanaplay134
04-22-2007, 06:44 PM
my buddy got a 93 mr2 turbo, he just put a greddy intercooler on it and it runs great so a week later he bought a turbonetics manual boost controller, a blitz dual drive blow off valve, and a blitz turbo timer with built in boost gauge. so he installs all this stuff and whenever he trys to boost his car starts to hesitate and freak out. now he hasnt even tryed to adjust the boost yet, but he cant even drive over 50 miles per hour and is getting like 8 miles to the gallon.

do you guys think it is the blow off valve or the boost controller hooked up wrong

JekylandHyde
04-23-2007, 08:42 AM
The OEM valve is the one to have ... aftermarket valves cause problems, rob performance and offer no benefit (unless you think the noise is a benefit).

As for how the MBC is hooked up, hard to say without knowing how he has it installed.

Sputtering while accellerating could be a few things:
* BOV not holding boost, causing you to run pig rich and sputter
* worn ignition components (I sugest changing cap, rotor & wires once per year and copper plugs with every oil change)\
* clogged cat

wanaplay134
04-23-2007, 07:35 PM
he reinstalled his stock blow off valve cause i told him that was the best one for his car but it didnt help at all he said.

he has the boost controller installed with one line running from the turbo itself and the other running to the wastegate, and then he said he has the tvsv unhooked and blocked off

JekylandHyde
04-23-2007, 09:12 PM
I would start checking for vac leaks. It's entirely possible that under boosted conditions he is making enough pressure to open up a gap somewhere. I'd start with checking all of the intake hose connections. After that, I would check all of the hoses he added for the MBC and the boost gauge.

wanaplay134
06-01-2007, 10:10 PM
well he replaced the cap and rotor, spark plugs and wires and he reinstalled his stock bov and it does the same thing. he thinks it just needs tuned but it has barely any mods done to it. we are going to do a boost leak test in the next 2 days and see what comes up i think it has vac leaks cause it idles like crap

Add your comment to this topic!