Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Power window switch?

pattysmear
04-22-2007, 05:45 PM
In my 85 cutlass suprm. the driver side window will not go down, but the pass. side window can be controlled from the drivers side. I belive that water could have touched the switch, but im not sure. Also i had the same trouble with the power locks but when i removed the switch and tweeked with the wires its working fine :cross fingers:

Mrbizness1
04-22-2007, 07:49 PM
In my 85 cutlass suprm. the driver side window will not go down, but the pass. side window can be controlled from the drivers side. I belive that water could have touched the switch, but im not sure. Also i had the same trouble with the power locks but when i removed the switch and tweeked with the wires its working fine :cross fingers:

Before you take the door apart slit the rubber tube that carries the wires to the door. Its located in the front door jamb between the door and the body.
Those wires are known to break apart from wear and tear.

pattysmear
04-23-2007, 07:36 AM
okay I will, but i thought becuase that swtich still works and can control the pass. window, inside that rubber thing was fine. But im only 16 and new to fixing cars so i wasnt sure. Thanks for the addvice

pattysmear
04-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Before you take the door apart slit the rubber tube that carries the wires to the door. Its located in the front door jamb between the door and the body.
Those wires are known to break apart from wear and tear.

So I just took apart the door after i looked inside that rubber tube and found no broken or torn wires. And my mom and I repeatedly check the switch with different wire combinations and figured the switch is okay, because it can control the pass. side window with either of the two switches. So unless there are some broken wires inside the door, or some other problem that i do not know about. I think my worst fear has become as i believe the driver's side window motor is no longer working. So what should i do now?

pattysmear
04-25-2007, 10:43 PM
So I just took apart the door after i looked inside that rubber tube and found no broken or torn wires. And my mom and I repeatedly check the switch with different wire combinations and figured the switch is okay, because it can control the pass. side window with either of the two switches. So unless there are some broken wires inside the door, or some other problem that i do not know about. I think my worst fear has become as i believe the driver's side window motor is no longer working. So what should i do now?

Well worst came to worst, I had a professional look at it, and he replaced the motor, For 184$, ouch. But the price im gonna have to pay if i wanna have the t tops off and the windows down in the summer!

Mrbizness1
04-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Well worst came to worst, I had a professional look at it, and he replaced the motor, For 184$, ouch. But the price im gonna have to pay if i wanna have the t tops off and the windows down in the summer!

They sell them at Autozone for $45.00 to $65.00 new or reman. The motor can be a hassle to get at.

Add your comment to this topic!