Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bad gas mileage? or what

95DodgeAvenger95
04-21-2007, 09:37 PM
When i drive my car normal i have great gas mileage, but when i jump on it my fuel mileage is like a escalade. if i jump on it i can go from like half a tank down to almost a 1/4 a tank, and that only trying to go fast for a short distance. is it just doing that bc the accel is so slow and it just runs in the gears so long and revs up slow? so it sucks up alot of gas? or is my gauge broke? any ideas? or is it just that bad when the car is running hard? :banghead:

KManiac
04-22-2007, 09:51 AM
I have a couple questions to ask you.

Did you discover the bad gas mileage by dividing the number of miles you drove between fill ups by the number of gallons you added to the tank?

Or are you just commenting on how the fuel gauge fuctuates in a 10 second period after you accelerate hard?

With regards to question 1, you consume more fuel on average when you punch the accelerator than when you do when you drive like there is a raw egg between your foot and the throttle pedal.

With regards to question 2, the fuel gauge takes its electrical signal from a float in the tank the varies with fuel level. When you accelerate hard, the fuel all rushes to the back of the tank at once, causing the float to drop temporarily. That would account for the 1/4 tank gauge drop during hard acceleration. But once you level off, you will see the gauge return to where it was before.

Now, think about what I have written and let us all know your thoughts.

95DodgeAvenger95
04-22-2007, 11:22 AM
I have a couple questions to ask you.

Did you discover the bad gas mileage by dividing the number of miles you drove between fill ups by the number of gallons you added to the tank?

Or are you just commenting on how the fuel gauge fuctuates in a 10 second period after you accelerate hard?

With regards to question 1, you consume more fuel on average when you punch the accelerator than when you do when you drive like there is a raw egg between your foot and the throttle pedal.

With regards to question 2, the fuel gauge takes its electrical signal from a float in the tank the varies with fuel level. When you accelerate hard, the fuel all rushes to the back of the tank at once, causing the float to drop temporarily. That would account for the 1/4 tank gauge drop during hard acceleration. But once you level off, you will see the gauge return to where it was before.

Now, think about what I have written and let us all know your thoughts.

well its like number 2, but it stays down. dosent come back up and i only accelerate for a short period of time.

Add your comment to this topic!