Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

need some opinions about price on a 65 SS

oktunes
04-19-2007, 09:47 PM
I recently bought a 65 SS, 138 car with 12 bolt, 4 speed. Currently the car has a 325/396. I think the engine is a 1966. This is a nice looking car. Interior is near perfect black with console and correct SS guages and trim.

The bad part, I bought it over the net on the strength of the interior and being an original 4 speed SS. It had new 1/4's, but when I got home and did a really close inspection, the panels were installed over the orignal rusted quarters. The trunk floor had a pop rivet repair to the underside and tons of undercoating covering it up. Basically, though the car looks good, I know that I won't be satisfied till I have all the trunk and quarter panels replaced. I can do bodywork and painting, but actual replacing the panels is more then I want to do. I will end up hiring the metal work done, then do the body work and paint.

I would like to put a smallblock back in the car. Do some minor mechanical stuff, put power disc brakes on it and full exhaust. That would make it a nice driving, decent looking car.

I am wondering if I should sell the car and wait for a better bodied car or bite the bullet and be prepared for expensive metal work in a year or two. Is the 1966 396 motor, which runs strong, worth enough to pay for a small block crate motor. I have the money to do all this, but hate to put more in the car then it would be worth. Or more then I could buy a nice car for. All opinions are welcome.
matt

mdcamaro
07-09-2007, 05:23 PM
:banghead: When you have a 40 year old car that is what you expect. I have a 65 Malibu SS. I'm replacing 1/4s and floor pans. I bought the left side floor pan and replaced chunks as needed. Don't do that replace the whole section it is a lot easier in the long run and looks better.

A 327 came in your car originally. I replaced mine with a 96 LT1. The 396 is a lot heavier so new springs and front disk brakes are a no brain-er. The other issue is frame mounts are off so some brands of headers will not fit.

I started my rebuild from the frame up. Go before show!:p

Good luck! Remember this was the 2nd year for the Malibu and the number that are around is getting smaller not larger.

highlandlake
07-10-2007, 08:03 PM
I agree with mdcamaro.

I bought a '65 SS that had some concealed issues. But I got over it - and went to work fixing up the areas I wasn't happy with. Now I feel I have more pride equity in the car.
Your '66 motor might be worth a fair amount of money. Have you confirmed the cast date and engine codes?
Anything else you've done to the car since your original post?

Add your comment to this topic!